Garmin 2730 GPS....

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
I bought myself a Christmas present a little before Christmas....A garmin 2730 Streetpilot with the MP3 player and the XM Traffic Nav feature. I have to get mounts for the bikes now. Probably a RAM mount for the R3 but definitely a Touratech aluminum/stainless isolastic mount for the KLR. The Touratech mount also mounts the XM antenna, has a power cord dock and it key locks the cradle.

It's a awesome unit so far. I like the seductive female voice telling me which way to turn...and when and the Traffic-Nav routes you around accidents or traffic jams plus you have the commercial free XM. The 2730 even has a infrared remote so it's hands free while driving and it's waterproof for on the bike. I didn't opt for the Bluetooth 2740 but I can still use a wired headset instead. the 2730 has an audio out jack or in the car, it has an FM transmitter so it plays through your car stereo...just like a normal XM radio.

After the trip to ES last summer and Bruce keeping his GPS in the saddlebag...and running 1200 miles on a supposed 900 mile trip....I figured it was past time for some electronics...on my bike.

I got the 2730 because I can download maps for off road use with the KLR, a big plus an it has the whole US plus Canada and Mexico (not that I want Mexico...ever) inside.

The 2730 listed at 1200 bucks new but because Garmin discontinued it, the ones still available are 250 bucks new and 150 refurbished. The XM transponder is 100 bucks so it's a fantastic price for some over the top electronics.

I had considered that unit for my use as well, the only thing I didn't like about it was that you had to have an XM subscription to take advantage of the weather (almost real time) feature. Ooops I meant the other weather proof model they have (the 378C or the 478C). I have the Zumo 550 model now and am very happy with it...just doesn't do me much good on the roads around here.
Dennis

I had considered that unit for my use as well, the only thing I didn't like about it was that you had to have an XM subscription to take advantage of the weather (almost real time) feature. Ooops I meant the other weather proof model they have (the 378C or the 478C). I have the Zumo 550 model now and am very happy with it...just doesn't do me much good on the roads around here.
Dennis

The 2730 is "sandproof' as well as waterproof. It's IP rated for immersion just like some of my precision electronic digital micrometers are. There is a U-Tube vid with some guy putting a 2730 in a laundry tub full of water....

You could buy 2 of the 2730's for the price of a Zumo 550 and you still have to pay for the XM subscription or 1.5 2740's for a Zumo and have all the capabilities of the 2730 plus Bluetooth (which I didn't wat anyway). I have no desire to listen to XM or traffic-nav as I ride the bike. I don't need the distraction. The basic difference between the 2730-40 and the Zumo is physical size and button placement but they are all touch screen activated. Garmin makes the newest maps available so if I want to I can upgrade to the NT2008 version but I'll wait for the 2009.

Considering the Zumo 550 is 600 bucks discounted and you can get a 2730 discounted for 250 or factory refurbished for 150, makes it a bargain. Add the Bluetooth 2740 for 275/175 respectively (and both have the XM transponder enclosed with the kit) and they are a heck of a deal. The Transponder is worth 100 bucks on Flea-Bay anytime.

Besides, they all have more features and artifical intellegence than I do......:eek:

Flip, sounds like you got a great deal. For me, I wasn't interested in the XM capability as I have my own audio system with "all" the music I like (with the exception of Chilliwacks "Lights In The Valley" album...just can't find it on CD anywhere). With some of the Gold Wing riders (at the time I was one) there was an issue with how much support you could expect for it since it was "going out" of production. So I opted for the, I know, more expensive Zumo, but it does have bluetooth, can play music from a flash card (and they make some big flash cards these days...though I'll still opt for the IPod), is water proof, has the glove friendly buttons and you can also load routes as well.
I hope it serves you well, and gives you trouble free use, that is what counts.
Dennis

I enjoying my new Garmin Nuvi bottom feeder offering. So far it's amazingly accurate and very easy to navigate through. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles though for a extraordinary fee it will receive traffic info. I can imagine this would be a very helpful feature for those that travel though many metro areas during the heat of traffic conditions. I on the other hand pre plan not to traverse through such areas at the wrong times, the periods of heavy traffic load of boneheads.

I use another at the office that is the shiznitz, if you have a graduate education to operate it; which I suffer without. The Mio 720t is an action packed unit but customer service sucks. You have to have a DVD player on your computer to use the data dense disk. The single most important aspect is the 2 mega pixel camera and the computer interoperability of uploading personal POI and picture and tunes strorage. You can input your destinations well in advance and select the specific planned trip when you need it. But I'm not all about bells and whistles, that why I ride the Beast.

Though I have to inquire, just how slow does one need to travel on a R3 to hear the tunes replay. Flipper, you the man of pure and real riding experience are now going over to the electronics age, that's funny :D Or you just getting prepared;)

I enjoying my new Garmin Nuvi bottom feeder offering. So far it's amazingly accurate and very easy to navigate through. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles though for a extraordinary fee it will receive traffic info. I can imagine this would be a very helpful feature for those that travel though many metro areas during the heat of traffic conditions. I on the other hand pre plan not to traverse through such areas at the wrong times, the periods of heavy traffic load of boneheads.

I use another at the office that is the shiznitz, if you have a graduate education to operate it; which I suffer without. The Mio 720t is an action packed unit but customer service sucks. You have to have a DVD player on your computer to use the data dense disk. The single most important aspect is the 2 mega pixel camera and the computer interoperability of uploading personal POI and picture and tunes strorage. You can input your destinations well in advance and select the specific planned trip when you need it. But I'm not all about bells and whistles, that why I ride the Beast.

Though I have to inquire, just how slow does one need to travel on a R3 to hear the tunes replay. Flipper, you the man of pure and real riding experience are now going over to the electronics age, that's funny :D Or you just getting prepared;)

My paper maps are getting a bit tattered so I decided it was time for an upgrade....

I didn't want the Bluetooth because I didn't want the headset in the helmet thing. I need to be attentive of what's going on around me not listening to music or weather or news so the Bluetooth wasn't of interest.

As far a speed to hear the tunes...I haven't a clue. When the 2730 is in the car, it plays through it's own speaker with road adjusted volume or through the stereo just like an MP3/XM does.

Look at it this way...If someone cut all the road signs down and sold them for scrap (you never know, that could very well happen), you'd still be able to get to where you want to go to...without any road signs.

Back