Free unrestricted maps for Rocket R GT and TFC now online

Penner, do we have any hope of seeing your maps for Brazilian, Thailand, Chinese, Argentina, Indonesia and South Africa markets?

DNK base their tunes, which they sell, on the 31012 (GT), 31018 (R) and 31024 (TFC) for ALL markets, including those listed above. And they seem to work.

Update: They do not work. DNK did not know about the maps for other markets.

Tom posted a list of all markets. It must be somewhere in this forum. For some there are no compatible maps in the Tune-ECU database. I don´t know if Alain will add them.

A few weeks ago, I loaded Ulf Penner's derestricted map on my Rocket 3R. Today was the first day I could ride the bike and I thought I share my initial impressions.
Short version: Holy cow.
Long version: In its standard state of tune, the Rocket engine does not reward revving it beyond 5k/min, and peak power is reached at 6k/min. The typical rev range thus is quite narrow, between 2.5k/min and 5k/min. This changes with the new tune: The engine revs freely into the rev limiter without any sign of being beyond its natural rev range.
At the same time, power output increases in a linear way until the rev limit is reached. "Linear" meaning that there seems to be significantly more grunt from around 4k/min onwards.
What impressed me most was how much more "natural" the engine felt. I also was under the impression that engine vibration above 4k/min was less than before, but that could by subjective. Fuel consumption seems to be more or less on the same level, but only warmer temperatures with grippier tarmac will tell if this is really true.
The only downside is that peak power RPM and the factory rev limiter sit very close together. The DNK tune raises the rev limit to 7.4k/min, but I did not feel comfortable to apply this in my setup right away.
Danke

The TFC has titanium intake valves and a higher rev limit. Could be there is a relation.
So I would not try 7400 with a R or GT unless it is mine.

Danke

The TFC has titanium intake valves and a higher rev limit. Could be there is a relation.
So I would not try 7400 with a R or GT unless it is mine.
My pleasure, thank you for providing the map.

Better to run into the rev limiter on short straights between hairpins than taking risks, I would say.

And no reason really to go to 7400 rpm if maximum power is available at around 6700 rpm already, as is the case with Penner's map. Ideally, for maximum acceleration, one should change gears so that you are still within the engine maximum torque range when you hook the next gear. This effectively spans an impressive (roughly) 3300-4800 rpm with Penner's map.

Last edited:
Put the 31018 from Master Penner on a EU R.
Used TuneECU with a compliant bluetooth/ODB 2 adapter (MX+), as per their instructions in manual - first time I uploaded a map on a bike.
It failed first, very scary as the bike is kind of a very expensive LCD screen only after failure... but then TuneECU suggested automatic ECU recoverr, which ended up working, and I could start again with uploading Penner's map. Upload took something between 15 and 20min.

It seems the failure was because of voltage drop: I've got very confused with the headlight fuse removal requirement, because some EU bikes like mine have daylight always on, there's nothing you can do about it... Removing the headlight fuse did not do sh*t to daylight, so at first I figured I had to put my front lights from daylight to regular light position to benefit form fuse removal. Don't do that: remove the fuse as advised, and let the daylight be, it's OK. Otherwise upload will probably fail just like it did with me. Battery charger seems to be a must as well, because battery voltage dropped from 12,9 to 12,5V during upload process, even with a small 1,5A 12V battery maintainer, so I think it's mandatory to succeed.

Once map is uploaded, turn bike OFF for 5s, turn back it ON, as requested by TuneECU (apparently required for the ECU data to be stored).
Then I would not advise to reset adaptions with TuneECU available software ECU resets, as it is sometimes advised: it seems this may cause some non-automatic adaptions to be reset as well, would set error codes on, and require your bike to go see a Triumph garage.
To reset adaption, as per workshop manual, and only when the engine is fully cold: turn the engine ON without touching the throttle at all, let it run idle until the radiator cooling fans turn ON (you can see them easily from behind the radiator, wait till they spin), then wait with the bike still running at idle for 12 minutes more. Done.
I did not have to reset/restart speed regulator.

All that rookie lessons learned passed: Penner's map feels awesome. Smoother, less deceleration pops - maybe a bit less engine brake as well; punchier at low revs, and seems to push stronger further than the factory map. Thanks a lot to you Master Penner.

Put the 31018 from Master Penner on a EU R.
Used TuneECU with a compliant bluetooth/ODB 2 adapter (MX+), as per their instructions in manual - first time I uploaded a map on a bike.
It failed first, very scary as the bike is kind of a very expensive LCD screen only after failure... but then TuneECU suggested automatic ECU recoverr, which ended up working, and I could start again with uploading Penner's map. Upload took something between 15 and 20min.

It seems the failure was because of voltage drop: I've got very confused with the headlight fuse removal requirement, because some EU bikes like mine have daylight always on, there's nothing you can do about it... Removing the headlight fuse did not do sh*t to daylight, so at first I figured I had to put my front lights from daylight to regular light position to benefit form fuse removal. Don't do that: remove the fuse as advised, and let the daylight be, it's OK. Otherwise upload will probably fail just like it did with me. Battery charger seems to be a must as well, because battery voltage dropped from 12,9 to 12,5V during upload process, even with a small 1,5A 12V battery maintainer, so I think it's mandatory to succeed.

Once map is uploaded, turn bike OFF for 5s, turn back it ON, as requested by TuneECU (apparently required for the ECU data to be stored).
Then I would not advise to reset adaptions with TuneECU available software ECU resets, as it is sometimes advised: it seems this may cause some non-automatic adaptions to be reset as well, would set error codes on, and require your bike to go see a Triumph garage.
To reset adaption, as per workshop manual, and only when the engine is fully cold: turn the engine ON without touching the throttle at all, let it run idle until the radiator cooling fans turn ON (you can see them easily from behind the radiator, wait till they spin), then wait with the bike still running at idle for 12 minutes more. Done.
I did not have to reset/restart speed regulator.

All that rookie lessons learned passed: Penner's map feels awesome. Smoother, less deceleration pops - maybe a bit less engine brake as well; punchier at low revs, and seems to push stronger further than the factory map. Thanks a lot to you Master Penner.
Similar to my experience, the only other thing to note is it limited to 147mph indicated:( on a private strip of course!

Last edited:
Similar to my experience, the only other thing to note is it limited to 147mph indicated:( on a private strip of course!
So sad, what are the 3 other gears left for then?! :)
This said, I remember I've read somewhere that the maximum speed is electronically limited (so can probably be changed by authorised and knowledgeable people), like with most if not all modern general-purpose vehicles, for safety reasons. I also believe EU Rocket 3 R spec factory limit to be 225km/h, which would be less than what you reached already (if I can convert non-international units well).
I guess above 225km/h anyway, you'd start to hit a lot of "this is not homologated at such speed" or "I tried once in a lab, but I did not vibrate well at such frequency" limitations for a lot of parts everywhere on the bike (including the biker). Factory rear tire for instance will allow itself having fun without your consent starting at 240km/h. So they're not the culprit.
It would be fun to know which useless part exactly caused the speed to be limited to this 225km/h, or if that's an engine/transmission hard limit.

So sad, what are the 3 other gears left for then?! :)
This said, I remember I've read somewhere that the maximum speed is electronically limited (so can probably be changed by authorised and knowledgeable people), like with most if not all modern general-purpose vehicles, for safety reasons. I also believe EU Rocket 3 R spec factory limit to be 225km/h, which would be less than what you reached already (if I can convert non-international units well).
I guess above 225km/h anyway, you'd start to hit a lot of "this is not homologated at such speed" or "I tried once in a lab, but I did not vibrate well at such frequency" limitations for a lot of parts everywhere on the bike (including the biker). Factory rear tire for instance will allow itself having fun without your consent starting at 240km/h. So they're not the culprit.
It would be fun to know which useless part exactly caused the speed to be limited to this 225km/h, or if that's an engine/transmission hard limit.
"It would be fun to know which useless part exactly caused the speed to be limited to this 225km/h, or if that's an engine/transmission hard limit."

ECU, ECU, ECU!!! Lol Well having looked at a recent video it accelerates from 80mph to 147mph in around 10 seconds, so its still not properly fast but it is quick.. i recall many years ago i had a GSXR1000 k5 (so 15 years then) i owned and i remember it going from from 100 to 160 mph in less than 6 seconds, it lifted the front wheel in third gear until 150mph and my Hayabusa well we wont discuss that here!!! So in conclusion, the 2020 R3R is a fast thing of a lump. Do i care if its a little slower? Nope, its fast enough to be fun:) Yep :)

"It would be fun to know which useless part exactly caused the speed to be limited to this 225km/h, or if that's an engine/transmission hard limit."

ECU, ECU, ECU!!! Lol Well having looked at a recent video it accelerates from 80mph to 147mph in around 10 seconds, so its still not properly fast but it is quick.. i recall many years ago i had a GSXR1000 k5 (so 15 years then) i owned and i remember it going from from 100 to 160 mph in less than 6 seconds, it lifted the front wheel in third gear until 150mph and my Hayabusa well we wont discuss that here!!! So in conclusion, the 2020 R3R is a fast thing of a lump. Do i care if its a little slower? Nope, its fast enough to be fun:) Yep :)
I meant, what specific part limitation did make them put 225km/h as an hard limit in ECU. I guess there is a reason for this specific value, maybe tied to a specific piece somewhere that is not tested beyond 225km/h... or because stats showed bad wear/some breakage after 225km/h... or that's just arbitrary from Paul the Chief Engines Knowledge Officer, who told "meh, I would not put that above 225km/h" (while fixing a '59 T120 with a toothpick).

Back