Walking Tall

.060 Over
Ride
2018 Phantom Black R3R
So, after I get my seat sorted on my '18 R3R, I may need to do something with the footpegs. The bike has a very cramped riding position for me (6'6", 34" inseam) as the distance between the stock seat and stock pegs is too short. As with every other bike I own, I'll have to modify the beast to fit me properly. So the question is, if raising the saddle isn't enough, would it be better to go with the FC 17 forward controls or with the Triumph crash bars and highway pegs while keeping the stock pegs? Any thoughts?

I'm 6'6 and honestly I love the standard riding position. My suzuki m90 had forward controls and my back and ass was sore after an hour.

As you know the FC 17 forward controls cannot be fitted with front crash bars. For that reason alone I agree with @Steel but have a set in case I change my mind. ;):D

The earlier seats with rider's backrest fit the roadster but as you have found they do position you even further fwd and feel cramped with the Roadsters peg position. they were orginally designed for the Classic and versionsa with footboards and or the earlier R3 Std front peg position which was further fwd than the Roadster.

Maybe get a set of R3 Std rails an, pegs and foot controls or the even harder to gert Classic footboards. The best and hardest to find now is the early pre-Classic R3 Std footboard kit A9758085 . This has a raised foot peg rail and the footboards aRE MORE STEEPLY ANGLED AND OFFER GREATER CORNERING CLEARANCE THAN THE rOADSTER PEGS. sTEVE (fuggin' caps) @1olbull has converted his Roadster already.

BOARDS ON MY ROADSTER - FINALLY!

CLASSIC FOOTBOARD KIT A9758081 Includes Rocker Gear Lever
upload_2018-10-4_10-44-27.png

FOOTBOARDS A9758085 Includes Rocker Gear Lever

upload_2018-10-4_10-44-47.png

So, after I get my seat sorted on my '18 R3R, I may need to do something with the footpegs. The bike has a very cramped riding position for me (6'6", 34" inseam) as the distance between the stock seat and stock pegs is too short. As with every other bike I own, I'll have to modify the beast to fit me properly. So the question is, if raising the saddle isn't enough, would it be better to go with the FC 17 forward controls or with the Triumph crash bars and highway pegs while keeping the stock pegs? Any thoughts?
At 6' 5" thought the same thing. Bought an extra seat and disassembled it with the idea of raising the seated position. There is quite a slope in the back of the seat that will push you forward. The plan is to raise the front flat part of the seat about an inch which will also allow the rider to set further back and then redo with quality foam. So busy at work that will wait till winter. In the mean time the stock seat seems to get more comfortable all the time and I went with the Triumph crash bars and highway pegs.

Rick

One drawback to forward pegs (from my experience with '12 Thunderbird) is when on bumpy road or you see a frost heave or any bump in the road, it's nearly impossible to raise up to avoid the jolt to the spine. I'm 6'2" and prefer the mid-placement pegs so I can stand if needed, but use the highway pegs for stretching out. Like Steel said, good to have more than one place to put your feet.

I think adding height to the seat is the way to go. I have a sheep-skin covered gel pad that adds just under 2 inches to the seat, but will probably spend for a custom seat eventually.

Glad you posted your height, or I would have said are you serious, a Rocket cramped? A friend from high school recently married a guy who's at least 6'6", maybe taller, he had to build his own bike to get one to fit.

I’m in the same dilemma.
But I’m to short for the FC 17 controls , I can only just reach them.
Had the classic for 13 years and threw it down the road last November.
I was so used to the riding position and now going to the roadster and having them so far back just didn’t feel right .
Now with the fc17 controls I don’t feel so stable eather.
I will make new brackets and shorten the break rod and alter the gear leaver rod as well .
It shouldn’t be to hard

I’m in the same dilemma.
But I’m to short for the FC 17 controls , I can only just reach them.
Had the classic for 13 years and threw it down the road last November.
I was so used to the riding position and now going to the roadster and having them so far back just didn’t feel right .
Now with the fc17 controls I don’t feel so stable eather.
I will make new brackets and shorten the break rod and alter the gear leaver rod as well .
It shouldn’t be to hard
Just get a set of Classic foot controls, boards and peg bars. The early Accessory footboards for the Standards are even better see @1olbull 's thread

They all fit the Roadster too with a little straightening of the hard brake line

Glad you posted your height, or I would have said are you serious, a Rocket cramped? A friend from high school recently married a guy who's at least 6'6", maybe taller, he had to build his own bike to get one to fit.
I hope your friend was a female @Tripps or I'm going to have to worry about what Florida has done to you so fast !!!!

Back