Forward controls, crash bars, stock pegs...

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Hey, fellas! So my R3R came with the FC17 forward controls. I like them ok (they are all I know) but it’s slightly awkward for me to depress the brake due to the mini floorboards and all my weight is on my hind end. I’d like to add crash bars, but I can’t with the FC17 kit. With all of this, I’d like to try out the stock pegs, but I have zero of the stock parts to do so. I think I need rails and some other parts.

I THINK I’d like to do the stock setup with crash bars with highway pegs. I’m attaching a pic of what I have currently.

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts as to what setup you like or perhaps suggests on how I could modify my setup. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

08D207B9-C5A3-4B10-B631-607A257083DB.jpeg

Try foot pegs instead of the mini boards. That will help solve your braking issue.

Or
Besides that you need a complete set of foot rails and foot boards or pegs.
Do you want aftermarket foot-boards that fit splined adaptors for the std pegs mounts or pegs including the type you already have, which use peg mounts, not splined or stock foot-board mounts.

Once that is decided, you need to get matching brake parts and gear levers - they do differ from Boards or pegs and with different foot rails used.

There are 3 different Triumph R3 foot rails for foot-boards that you could and another 2 foot rail versions for pegs so 5 different factory R3 setups with some crossover of factory parts is available.

A forum member in Perth, WA, Australia last year also swapped his R3Roadster rails and pegs out for R3Touring Rails and foot-boards using all new parts from dealer here in Oz and it was about Au$1750 (US$1400 at the time) from memory for parts about

Then you go aftermarket.
RAASK adjustable I just found, but rare as hen's teeth.

Another forum member in Perth was making some custom foot-rails with fwd controls for sale last year, that may interest you. BigKev or similar name I think.
Expensive but likely cheaper than factory parts.

If you do a search with my user ID and 'footrail' or 'foot-rail' you should find some relevant threads.

@Ishrub Wow...thanks for the information! DEFINITELY not looking to spend $1000+ on a new setup, so that whittles down the options quite quickly!

Yeesh, I didn't realize I'd have to get different brake parts and gear levers OR that there were even different types of pegs/boards. I think I was hoping for a simple "find a set of used rails and pegs and throw them on" kind of an option. :)

I really would like crash bars though, so that may be the driving force behind all of this. I'm waiting for the day I drop the bike and kick myself for not having the bars on.

I'll search as you suggested and see what I can learn. Thank you SO much!

I have the crash bars and highway pegs, as you'll note from my profile image. I really like the set up as I'm 6'3" and when I want to stretch, forward controls don't quite do it for me. I actually use the standard foot pegs 85+% of the time, but its nice to have the option of stretching out on a clear piece of road when the mood takes you. The Triumph OEM crash bars are reasonably priced and they do a nice job on their foot pegs.

Good luck!

Hey, fellas! So my R3R came with the FC17 forward controls. I like them ok (they are all I know) but it’s slightly awkward for me to depress the brake due to the mini floorboards and all my weight is on my hind end. I’d like to add crash bars, but I can’t with the FC17 kit. With all of this, I’d like to try out the stock pegs, but I have zero of the stock parts to do so. I think I need rails and some other parts.

I THINK I’d like to do the stock setup with crash bars with highway pegs. I’m attaching a pic of what I have currently.

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts as to what setup you like or perhaps suggests on how I could modify my setup. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

08D207B9-C5A3-4B10-B631-607A257083DB.jpeg

You must be a tall giant.

You must be a tall giant.
Actually, only 6’ and about 190lb! The guy that had it before me was at least 6’4”.

That makes me wonder, however, what the reach to highway pegs on crash bars would be like...

Best option would be to find someone with a Roadster that would be willing to trade their stock setup for your forward controls.
I thought of that. Just worry I wouldn’t like it and would want to go back!

Back