For anyone so inclined - Tune ECU available in northern Virginia

Thank you for asking. I'm in suspense. I took the seats off to have them redone by Baldwin Motorbike Saddles , and with the seat off, it was time to tinker, and raise the fuel tank, and so on.

The build date for the seats is 9 June, and I expect to have the bike back together shortly after that, and will let y'all know.

The "make or break" requirement of a cable for this is that it has an FTDi chipset. The cable isn't just a cable, it's a tiny computer that translates between the computer and the ECU.

You can find such cables on Amazon too, but you have to really pay attention to what you're getting. So going with Lonelec is easiest, and they even toss in the appropriate USB OTG cable for phones.

You can find such cables on Amazon too, but you have to really pay attention to what you're getting. So going with Lonelec is easiest, and they even toss in the appropriate USB OTG cable for phones.

I have and use this cable from Amazon...

I have and use this cable from Amazon...

Yep, it clearly states it's FTDi and is TuneECU compatible. There are others that look similar but won't work or worse, will work just enough to write gibberish to your ECU and turn your bike into a giant paperweight until you can get it to a dealer.

No driver installation necessary, correct?

I did this just following our Cascade get together several years ago when we first met. Remember Steve, the guy who organized the event and had that beautiful WW II Army Air Corps motif painted Rocket. I had downloaded the Tune ECU software but didn't have a specific tune to use. Since our setup was similar, Steve stopped by the house, gave me his extra cable and a tune that he used. It was very easy. It wasn't quite right though because I was still getting some back popping on decel with the throttle closed. I sent the tune off to Hanso via email, got it back within a few hours, downloaded the modified tune and the Rocket ran like a scalded ape. I rode it a couple of weeks ago in Maryland while visiting my son and scared myself. I had forgotten how easy it was to get air under that front tire.

Nice. @Navigator , what is your ride ?

This was it, a 2007 Classic Tourer. I installed the riser/setback and replaced the Tourer bars with standard. The Fly Screen is by Evil Bob in England. I had Jardines but sold them and got a set of TORs. The bear claw is powder coated semi black as are the heat shields and exhaust tips. The tuned permanently opened the secondaries and lifted the speed limiter. My son has it now along with a VStrom DL1000 I gave him along with the Rocket. He gave me his Harley Super Glide.

I also have a VStrom DL650 and now a Kawasaki Nomad 1600 for touring.

Edit: I couldn't get the pic of my Rocket to insert using Photobucket.

Last edited:
You're a great dad ! And serviceman, I see. My boss is a former submariner, and I flew a desk for the Air Force.

Thank you for sharing -- and serving.

I've got a cable on order, and an OBD/bluetooth dongle. Also have downloaded the Android app. I don't do windows, now how no way. But I am gonna give this a whirl.

Back