Skyline Drive Virginia

N. Ga. around Helen (it is like a little alpine village with great German food) and Dahlonega (site of the first gold rush in the US (court house has bricks with flecks of gold still in them) is a great area to ride around. Tallulah Falls gorge (higher than Niagra) is a must see in the area.

After a hard day of riding ride the inner tubes on the river through Helen with a case of cold beers in a tube and then find a restaurant on the river to recover and ride some more the next day. Some amazing roads there and some nice mountain climbs. Also a great place to go dirt bike riding or 4 wheeling too. I lived in the area for about 5 years. Always regretted moving into Atlanta but it was just too far of a commute for work.

I had all the fun of Skyline drive, similar views, but a lot less police and traffic.

I rode the skyline drive several times while station in Norfolk. Went through the week not on the weekend. Even so traffic was slow and police everywhere. Still enjoyed it especially in the early fall.

I live in Waynesboro and have only ridden the Skyline Drive once? Waaaaay too slow for me and park cops everywhere to get you for 10 over. There are hundreds of great overlooks and hiking trails and we go often for hiking but once on the bike was enough for me. I actually like the Blue Ridge Parkway a little better just because the limit is higher and the turns are carved with wider radius. Just moves along a little faster. Biggest danger is deer and drivers will stop in the middle of a sweeping turn to take a photograph even though there are overlooks every 2 to 4 miles! GEEEESH!
I'm just impatient at 40 mph.
I agree with Tdragger about going back 250, 810, 231, 522! Thats the most beautiful drive in VA and I lived on 231 just south of Sperryville for 30 years. It's rated one of the top 10 scenic drives in the US!Hardly any traffic on that route at all, very rural.

Been to the Eiffel Tower three times. Can't hold a candle to the leaning tower in Pizzi. Spelled that wrong but you get the idea. Myself and a few Navy buddies got on a train and spent the night there. Opened up the curtain to the motel in the morning and had a clean view of it . Awesome. We even had the opportunity to walk the stairs from bottom to top. Four hung over squids just in AW as we climbed every step to the top.

Assuming that you'll ride N to S all the way to Waynesboro, there are some great roads heading back north. Take US250 east to Crozet. Then pick up County Rd 810 to Standardsville and Madison. Take SH 231 to Sperryville and then US522 back to Front Royal. Lots of good wineries along the way.

Here's a suggested route: Google Maps

Thanks, needed to find another way back, that looks like a great route and if there are wineries to stop at on the way all the better!

Rick

I live in Waynesboro and have only ridden the Skyline Drive once? Waaaaay too slow for me and park cops everywhere to get you for 10 over. There are hundreds of great overlooks and hiking trails and we go often for hiking but once on the bike was enough for me. I actually like the Blue Ridge Parkway a little better just because the limit is higher and the turns are carved with wider radius. Just moves along a little faster. Biggest danger is deer and drivers will stop in the middle of a sweeping turn to take a photograph even though there are overlooks every 2 to 4 miles! GEEEESH!
I'm just impatient at 40 mph.
I agree with Tdragger about going back 250, 810, 231, 522! Thats the most beautiful drive in VA and I lived on 231 just south of Sperryville for 30 years. It's rated one of the top 10 scenic drives in the US!Hardly any traffic on that route at all, very rural.

That's sure changed since when I rode it but of course, everything changed. We rarely saw an police or park rangers. More people, more congestion, more problems.

Back