Skyline Drive Virginia

rng3

"There is no replacement for displacement"
Ride
Rocket 3 roadster 2017
Planning on riding the Sky Line Drive this August.
Any one here been there and have any comments, thoughts, suggestions from their ride there?

Thanks,

Rick

Great ride when you are following a caravan of RVs and travel trailers. They were pretty strict on speed enforcement (35 mph). I swore to never do it during the summer when everyone else seems to be doing it. YMMV of course.

Not to sidetrack the thread too much but another great area to ride is the N. Georgia mountains. Helen, GA is a great little town to see and amazing roads nearby. I know it is a bit further away but great biking roads and a lot less people on them. Another plus is not overly strict law enforcement.

Great ride when you are following a caravan of RVs and travel trailers. They were pretty strict on speed enforcement (35 mph). I swore to never do it during the summer when everyone else seems to be doing it. YMMV of course.

Not to sidetrack the thread too much but another great area to ride is the N. Georgia mountains. Helen, GA is a great little town to see and amazing roads nearby. I know it is a bit further away but great biking roads and a lot less people on them. Another plus is not overly strict law enforcement.

Good point. However will be riding weekdays only. Sure weekends during the summer are really crowded. If all goes well might also go in Fall to see the Fall color.
Will take a look at Helen, Ga.
From here in Pa. only about 3 hours to the Skyline, too close to pass up.

Rick

@rng3 I live an hour away from the northern entrance, it is a great ride, just make sure you do head the speed limit inside the park. The restaurants are okay but nothing to write home about along the way. Plan to stop often and take pictures, at least that way you won't feel stuck behind the slower drivers as much, and there are plenty of slower than posted limit drivers along the way.

Assuming that you'll ride N to S all the way to Waynesboro, there are some great roads heading back north. Take US250 east to Crozet. Then pick up County Rd 810 to Standardsville and Madison. Take SH 231 to Sperryville and then US522 back to Front Royal. Lots of good wineries along the way.

Here's a suggested route: Google Maps

It's a beautiful ride and I've done it many times while stationed in Norfolk, VA 1988-1999. Just seeing your thread brought back wonderful memories and reminded me again of why I miss Virginia. Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We'd ride it at various times of the year with the most beautiful time in the fall during "the colors" as they called it.

Last time I rode it was in 1998, and gads but I can't believe it was that long ago, we had to pay a Shenandoah Park entry fee. And on the roving road motels, I hate them but they are everywhere.

Driving Skyline Drive - Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:
Rick, keep in touch if you'd like company. I'm pretty flexible these days (not nearly as important at work as I used to think I was ;) ).

I have the SENA 20 if you have something compatible and would like to keep in touch along the way.

And @Taz I do appreciate the suggestion of N. Georgia.

Back