Found: Tuner in Maryland who'll work with Tune ECU

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Connections are fun sometimes -- there used to be a program on PBS called Connections, where the writer/host would take some invention a thousand years ago and trace it to some technology used to go to the moon, or similar.

Some time ago there was a thread (one of many) about upgrading the front suspension on the Rocket, and @barbagris pointed out emulators available for the Touring out of California.

Looking at that, turns out there is a dealer for them (they call them "RT Centers") in Pasadena, MD, and turns out that dealer, MRP Motorsports, also offers tuning.

So I got to talking to the tuner, Kenny, and he said it's easier with Power Commander installed, but they know how to do it with Tune ECU. He said ballpark figures are $250 with PC, because they do it on the fly, and closer to $400 with TuneECU because they take readings, have to turn off the bike, make adjustments, reload the adjustments, rerun the bike, and so on.

I think I'm going with the non-piggyback version, just as soon as I receive the full exhaust from @Paul Bryant .

I'm tentatively a happy camper.

Good question. This is a work in progress. I was there for a quickie "baseline" (hardly a baseline -- just a snapshot really of where I am - RamAir, Viking 3-into-1, @HansO derestricted ECU map) posted under the "derestricted" sticky in the Touring forum: R3T derestricting

The plan now is to attend RAA 2018 East in Stearns (you should join us), and then after that, install @Neville Lush "street" cams I have in a box in the garage. With that installed, there will be a piggyback Power Commander 3 added and the bike taken to MRP Motorsports, where the PC-3 connects to the DynoJet. I'm counting on Nev to coach the owner/operator Kenny at MRP as to what to adjust. Presuming that works out, I ride home a happy camper and 95% there. The final step is to use TuneECU to import the trim tables from the PC-3 and overlay that on the ECU map to make a new map optimized for my situation.

PC-3 would be pulled off and returned. The new map would be loaded on the bike, and I should be a happy camper for as long as I have the bike.

Last edited:
What I would like is a classified (and thus no use to anyone) list that would have a @Neville Lush or @Speedy rating scale assessment. "1 - This operator can safely install the motorcycle on the DynoJet and turn it on. You're on your own from there. 2. - This operator can do (1), plus read your ECU. 3 - This operator can download your ECU, has a contact with whom he works to whom he sends your map, and when it comes back, loads it into your ECU -- a 'remote tune' if you will. 4. - This operator can do . . ."

In practice, I'm afraid it won't fly, for reasons that our knowledge level is all over the place, and with that, are our expectations, such that one captain's tuner is another person's hack. I ran into this myself when I posted something about a DynoJet operator in Richmond, VA who told me "yeah, I'll do it", and then I was set straight by @rocketjohn saying the fellow had never seen a Rocket and ...

My guess is the best way to do this -- and I'm certainly open to suggestions -- is to have folks post to the Tune ECU resource forum, and then others can take the individual reports through their own filter, and ask questions in their quest for their individual goals.

Last edited:
I reckon the users of TuneECU and other products as individuals is pretty restricted to their one personal bike, finding a well versed installer would be like mining unobtanium ore.

Back