My Royal Star had 130K when i sold it after getting my Rocket. I worked on it a lot, but not like this. I kept tools in the bag just in case. Knock on wood, I'm gonna make this Rocket just as dependable. :cautious::unsure: Right? It can be done?

If you have not got her split open yet a couple quick suggestions. Pull the oil pressure pump out so you can see and get at this bolt

2011_0905_140827.JPG

Or you'll be scratching your head wonder why you can not get the block apart.

Oh and when you go to lift the bottom up when you split her open the output shaft will probably try to come up with the bottom of the case so be careful. If it does, don't drop it. Instead, try to get the end that hung up down so your shifting forks stay engaged in the grooves. If this doesn't work out, don't sweat it - it's just a good point to take a picture or two for assembly reference. Crank will stay in the upper engine case. No need to rotate it, but take note of the condition of the main bearing journals on the crank and the bearing halves on the bottom case. (check for scoring or signs of anything but oil passing thru.) Everything should look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I split her open last night. No issues. Pulled the pressure oil pump when doing the clutch pack. I'm really disgusted at whatever tech did the previous open heart on her. No real regard to torque specs. Found fasteners overtightened and some that the weight of the socket wrench broke the bolt loose. Surprised this motor didn't crater.

I split her open last night. No issues. Pulled the pressure oil pump when doing the clutch pack. I'm really disgusted at whatever tech did the previous open heart on her. No real regard to torque specs. Found fasteners overtightened and some that the weight of the socket wrench broke the bolt loose. Surprised this motor didn't crater.

Can you take a picture of second gear ?

Can you take a picture of second gear ?

I'd be interested in that, plus what type of splined bushings are on the second / third gear output cluster. Like Fred, we're probably trying to figure out the extent of the update first. Myself just to see enough to know it was an update kit or, just a repair - say before there was a update kit. It could also be he just did not do the cam chain guides. It's hard to say, but we already know they changed the front bearing on the torsional shaft (installed in arse backwards) and never changed the one in the rear. As Fred stated Triumph went to a sealed unit packed with grease. I think they did this because the rear bearing getting a good enough supply of oil did not work out as planned and it was cheaper than making a block change to route some oil to the rear bearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in that plus what type of splined bushings are on the second / third gear out put cluster. Like Fred were probably trying to figure out the extent of the update first. Myself just to see enough to know it was a update kit or not just a repair say before there was a update kit. It could also be he just did not do the cam chain guides. It hard to say but we already know they changed the front bearing on the torsional shaft (installed in arse backwards) and never changed the one in the rear. As Fred stated Triumph went a a sealed unit packed with grease. I think they did this because the rear bearing getting a good enough supply of oil did not work out as planned and it was cheaper the making a block change to route some oil to the rear bearing.

The sound of crickets in the distance.

Lol, haven't been back on the motor since Saturday evening. Will be on it for sure Thursday. I did today however find through Triumph that warranty work was performed in 2010 to replace the shifter detent shaft. Which this was already determined by the updated part. Found the name of the dealer as well. I will be ordering new bearings tomorrow from my local dealer.

Back