Blairbiker

Knight of the road
Ride
Triumph Rocket GT
i have ordered a pair of avon cobra chromes from National bike tyres uk £306 plus £20 postage, my dealer was quoting a special price of £442.00,he says that fitting them is a complex procedure, is that correct? and what is it that makes it complex. i'm worried my local tyre fitter may not have the knowledge

The new model bikes have wheel features that make them much easier to work with than the older models, which are notorious for rear tire difficulties.
There are no spacers, sensors or anything to worry about on the rim, it is just the rim bolted to the hub, the same as your car

There are no spacers, sensors or anything to worry about on the rim, it is just the rim bolted to the hub, the same as your car
I think the bead design on the wheel is different. I think that’s the correct term. In dummy terms the shape of the wheel where to tire seals is changed from the older models.

Your dealer is spoofing you. There is absolutely nothing complex about changing the tyres on this bike. In fact the rear tyre is a lot easier to change as you just undo the five bolts and the wheel comes off just like on a car. The front tyre change is no different than any other bike.

Mounting and demounting tires isn't hard unless the wheel design makes it difficult. My 05 rear wheel (and all the older models) 240 spec rear wheel has no 'drop' in the center of the hub. That is the space the tire needs to allow the bead to drop over the rim. That makes getting the rear tire off impossible without a LOT of leverage. The new single sided swingarm fits a different wheel with a center drop, making tire changes a snap. Your dealer is either unfamiliar with the new wheel design or mistaking it for the older design. BTW the only way I could get my rear tire off my 05 was to cut the bead with an angle grinder. I had to take the wheel and tire to a shop that had a pneumatic press for aluminum rims to get the new tire on.

Mounting and demounting tires isn't hard unless the wheel design makes it difficult. My 05 rear wheel (and all the older models) 240 spec rear wheel has no 'drop' in the center of the hub. That is the space the tire needs to allow the bead to drop over the rim. That makes getting the rear tire off impossible without a LOT of leverage. The new single sided swingarm fits a different wheel with a center drop, making tire changes a snap. Your dealer is either unfamiliar with the new wheel design or mistaking it for the older design. BTW the only way I could get my rear tire off my 05 was to cut the bead with an angle grinder. I had to take the wheel and tire to a shop that had a pneumatic press for aluminum rims to get the new tire on.
Thank you for explaining the difference for me. I had heard the new wheel was easier to work with and now I know the details.

Your dealer is spoofing you. There is absolutely nothing complex about changing the tyres on this bike. In fact the rear tyre is a lot easier to change as you just undo the five bolts and the wheel comes off just like on a car. The front tyre change is no different than any other bike.
i guess he had to say something to justify the price!

Back