final drive or clutch

Toddyboy

.040 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Roadster
Well here goes. 200 kilometers into a 600 kilometer ride today my bike surges for a moment at 130kmh And I chalked it up to possible bad gas did it one more time a few minutes later then it was good for another 20 minutes then it searches again and I lose all forward momentum I lose all my gears had to pull off the side of the highway and in first gear I could get it to go under its own power with grinding noise coming from under the bike so I stopped I get it towed home I go to push it into my garage and I can hear a grinding coming from under the bike in neutral clutch pull feels the same I can put it into gears with bike running but nothing happens I'm hoping it's just clutch but I'm asking the experts what should I do and how do I check

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Well here goes. 200 kilometers into a 600 kilometer ride today my bike surges for a moment at 130kmh And I chalked it up to possible bad gas did it one more time a few minutes later then it was good for another 20 minutes then it searches again and I lose all forward momentum I lose all my gears had to pull off the side of the highway and in first gear I could get it to go under its own power with grinding noise coming from under the bike so I stopped I get it towed home I go to push it into my garage and I can hear a grinding coming from under the bike in neutral clutch pull feels the same I can put it into gears with bike running but nothing happens I'm hoping it's just clutch but I'm asking the experts what should I do and how do I check
Sounds suspiciously like a failed output shaft bearing. If you push the bike with the engine off does it make a grinding noise ? If it does I'd drop the oil pan and look for bearing shrapnel.

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
I did my own but it's a big job. Search for output shaft bearing from member Rocket Scientist then look at thread called "the Odyssey Begins". It will give you an idea of what is involved.

Toddyboy

.040 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Roadster
So I just pulled the drain plug on the final drive and no fluid whatsoever just chunks of metal on the magnet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of R3Owners. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker for R3Owners.Net.

I've Disabled AdBlock