Updated or did they finally figure out there was no need for two drive shafts in stock. Sure the touring had a larger diameter spline going into the final drive but the rest of the shaft was identical. I am not sure if the Roadster just switched to the same drive shaft for ease of parts stocking or if it is stronger. Sure as long as the tooth size has not changed and the diameter expanded would seem to be stronger but if the spline cup on the final drive unit only had the internal changes and the Outside diameter of the cup remained the same I would say it then got weaker. So go figure. If I had one I would be measuring the spline and cups to see but alas I have not had the need for Roadster or Touring parts :)
Oh then other then the older ones needing better grease from the factory (which they have changed) I do not remember anyone breaking a drive shaft or the spline cup on the drive unit. Many of us were above 200 hp and massive torque before the touring came out without destroying the final drive units.

Now that being said have you pulled the unit yet?
If you did is there signs of oil migrating up into the swing arm?

If so I would suspect you lost the seal and of course you know where the oil went.

If not then I would have to ask who did the last lube change on the final drive?

I would definitely look so you can figure out whether the drive shaft spline is toast also.

Anyway just thinking out loud here :D
As of right now no I have not torn it apart I have pulled the drain plug and found metal chunks not shavings on the magnet and no fluid whatsoever that is as far as I've gotten I'm still trying to deal with how mad I am because I did buy it from a family member who I believe neglected the maintenance on the rear end and this is something I just cannot afford

As of right now no I have not torn it apart I have pulled the drain plug and found metal chunks not shavings on the magnet and no fluid whatsoever that is as far as I've gotten I'm still trying to deal with how mad I am because I did buy it from a family member who I believe neglected the maintenance on the rear end and this is something I just cannot afford
YES thats amazing no f-----n oil thats beyond belief

So the final drive is pooched and I mean pooched pinion gear is completely smooth and my driveshaft looks pretty worn.. What's all involved in changing the driveshaft?

Here's some pics

Attachments

• 20160326_155409_HDR.jpg
    20160326_155409_HDR.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160326_151248.jpg
    20160326_151248.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
Wowzers !!!! Looks like the pinion gear went first, then the ring. Looks bone dry! Splines dry too.

Wow.... hard to believe that's on a 2011 Roadster with the way the axle looks. They must not have put any grease on it at all. Mine which is a 2010 had blue grease on the axle and looked good after 18000 or so miles.

Back