Looking for Final Drive Unit for Rocket 2005

markur

Winemaker, Cloud, Tech, Linux Pro & World Traveler
Ride
Rocket 3
Does anyone know of a good resource? I looked on eBay and not seeing any for my year, although I understand that mine would be compatible with up to 2007. After that, it's a different unit.
I'm not completely sure yet that it isn't Universal Joint that may be affected. There is grinding in the first and second gear that sounds like it's coming from back near the Final Drive unit, but could be before in the gearbox. I've heard if I drain the oil from the Final Drive unit and see a lot of metallic then it's likely the Final Drive unit that needs to be replaced, but any further input would be very welcome.

Thanks so much

Mark in Napa, California

If u buy the final drive with the drive shaft then u can go way up in the years.
Also the later was black instead of silver.
U can not use a touring.
Probably need to tear it apart to find prob.
Final drive / ujoints / wheel bearings / torque bearings in rear of motor.
Should not guess on this.

The out shaft bearing had problems in early Silver engined '04-'06 models (with VIN last six digits up to Eng No 242554) . It is likely updated Silver engines finished after VIN 336042 (See Factory Service Technical News 114).
In early versions the bearing was fitted with an inadequate oil supply due to early bearing type used which often damaged the housing as well, so they updated the bearing type and sold an Output Bearing kit T3990192 for Silver painted engines and T3990193 for Black.

5T3990191 | Kit Torsional Damper BearingsT3990191 Kit Torsional Damper Bearings | Genuine Triumph Motorcycle Part£51.881Add
5T3990193 | Kit Torsional Damper CVR & BRGST3990193 Kit Torsional Damper CVR & BRGS | Genuine Triumph Motorcycle Part£51.881Add
5T3990192 | Kit Torsional Damper CVR & BRGST3990192 Kit Torsional Damper CVR & BRGS | Genuine Triumph Motorcycle Part£51.881Add
with a Silver painted housing T1260441 that did not quite match the original Silver engine case part T1260133.
You can tell if the later version has already been fitted if it is painted Silver but a slight mismatch to original engine case color or obviously a Black painted updated version.

These parts were also sold as part of the larger highly discounted 'Factory Upgrade kit' sold by Triumph to address a number of early version's issues. It came with a very extensive parts and service kit worth well over US$1500 for about US$250. Many riders bought them for the cheap service parts and the complete NOS upgrade kits now sell for upwards of US$2000+. These had detent springs and many other bits and pieces including some transmission gears etc.
The Black engines all had the updates from factory.

#17 T1260441 - T3 COVER OUTPUT SHAFT ( T3 CVR O/P SHAFT PAINTED - This one is silver)
#18 T3600068 - T3 SEAL OIL 40 62 6
#19 T1260184 - T3 GASKET OUTPUT SHAFT
#21 T1260222 - T3 BEARING RETAINER PLATE
#5 T1270850 Bearing Torsional Damper SB
#12 T3801135 T3 BEARING BALL 45 X 75 X 16, Sealed

I have a new old stock Silver painted upgrade kit T3990192 in the shed with the lot that you are welcome to.
Postage is cheap from Oz to USA too.

17Cover,Output Shaft,Black
T1260234
Share this part
NOT IN STOCKAdd to Basketto Order(see FAQ)$82.26excl. VAT(£58.30)-QuantityMinusPlus
17CVR O/P SHAFT PAINTED SILVER
T1260441
Replaces T1260133
Share this part
NOT IN STOCKAdd to Basketto Order(see FAQ)$88.17excl. VAT(£62.49)-QuantityMinusPlus
17Cover, Output Shaft, Black
T1260442
Share this part
NOT IN STOCKAdd to Basketto Order(see FAQ)$88.17excl. VAT(£62.49)-QuantityMinus

1623731335987.png

The following are also in in the Ouput Shaft Bearing kit:
#5 T1270850 Bearing Torsional Damper SB
#12 T3801135 T3 BEARING BALL 45 X 75 X 16, Sealed

Last edited:
When you find out what the problem is drop me a message. I have final drive with good splines, flushed well and filled with good oil. I might sell it. Bought a spare for a rainy day. At this stage, if the Rocket croaks, I'm getting a smaller bike.

My 07 has 60 k miles and the splines are perfect. Lubing the splines works. Changing the final drive oil with each motor oil change also works. Easy on the clutch and gears also helps.

The out shaft bearing had problems in early Silver engined '04-'06 models (with VIN last six digits up to Eng No 242554) . It is likely updated Silver engines finished after VIN 336042 (See Factory Service Technical News 114).
In early versions the bearing was fitted with an inadequate oil supply due to early bearing type used which often damaged the housing as well, so they updated the bearing type and sold an Output Bearing kit T3990192 for Silver painted engines and T3990193 for Black.

The later Black engines all had the updated version from factory.
Mine is a 2006 black engine VIN 268096 so it's an early black engine, where does it fit for the updated parts?

When you find out what the problem is drop me a message. I have final drive with good splines, flushed well and filled with good oil. I might sell it. Bought a spare for a rainy day. At this stage, if the Rocket croaks, I'm getting a smaller bike.

My 07 has 60 k miles and the splines are perfect. Lubing the splines works. Changing the final drive oil with each motor oil change also works. Easy on the clutch and gears also helps.
So appreciate all the responses that I've gotten from this post. I have 44000 miles on this Rocket and probably haven't changed the Final Drive Oil since its last dealer service which could be 10 years back. I plan on draining that oil to see what that will show. Would definitely be interested in purchasing your spare if that turns out to be the case.

Mark

My original one was ill treated too. Dealer service. Changed the fluid several times ina row until it came out clear after use. The spare one I flushed several times with diesel, fluid, drained and filled with the good stuff. It's been sitting for several years. It is gray. You tell me what you think it's worth. They are nearly impossible to find.

My original one was ill treated too. Dealer service. Changed the fluid several times ina row until it came out clear after use. The spare one I flushed several times with diesel, fluid, drained and filled with the good stuff. It's been sitting for several years. It is gray. You tell me what you think it's worth. They are nearly impossible to find.
I'm noticing that there aren't hardly any available. Seems like the consensus from mechanics that have worked on them, that Triumph never wanted parts within the Final Drive to be replaced, independent of the whole unit, which is pretty ridiculous. Alas, some have had some success. Do you have pictures of yours, and is it from a 2005 regular Rocket, not Touring?

Mark

Back