Filtering on a R3 R - is it too wide?

Honestly it's as safe as you make it. Splitting traffic in California is normal and drivers are around it all day so they don't get pissed when riders split traffic. In states where it isn't legal the 4 wheelers may have a problem. I don't always split although it's a lot safer to split traffic at a red light than being the last person in line and have some cell phone soccer mom texting as she comes up behind me not observing stopped traffic. That happens way too much here California. I'm safer between cars even if it's a few cars up from the back of the line. I use other cars to protect me if that makes sense. On the freeway where I only go if I must, if traffic is stop and go I'm splitting traffic to get where I need to go safely. I understand why others don't like splitting and if I'm in no hurry I won't do it.

Lane filtering (between stopped traffic at lights) is legal now in most states in Australia (or under trial) and I have done it on most of my bikes, the Rocket included. Like anything, you judge the risk each time. Lane splitting (between vehicles in motion) is still illegal here, and like everywhere else you do it at your own risk as those cagers be trying to kill you... :)

Honestly it's as safe as you make it. Splitting traffic in California is normal and drivers are around it all day so they don't get pissed when riders split traffic. In states where it isn't legal the 4 wheelers may have a problem. I don't always split although it's a lot safer to split traffic at a red light than being the last person in line and have some cell phone soccer mom texting as she comes up behind me not observing stopped traffic. That happens way too much here California. I'm safer between cars even if it's a few cars up from the back of the line. I use other cars to protect me if that makes sense. On the freeway where I only go if I must, if traffic is stop and go I'm splitting traffic to get where I need to go safely. I understand why others don't like splitting and if I'm in no hurry I won't do it.
Most drivers around here would get angry if you split up to the front of the red light. It does not matter if you accelerate off the line and not hold them up. They just hate to see any one go to the front of the line ahead of them.

Most drivers around here would get angry if you split up to the front of the red light. It does not matter if you accelerate off the line and not hold them up. They just hate to see any one go to the front of the line ahead of them.
I had a BRC student dead-set against "Bikers splitting lanes and getting ahead of me..." (her words) until I explained that for every motorcycle IN-FRONT of her who split a lane got her one vehicle space closer to the stop light... ultimately giving her a better chance of making said light (for those of us who sit through more than one light cycle). The light went on and she "GOT-IT" ...suddenly became very pro lane splitting. Heh!
-MIG

my cobber has an "R" model...he just changed his mirrors so they were facing in....worked for him...
I have the round ones anyway... ;-)
20210704_050822754_iOS.jpg

My new GT Triple Black came with the round ones and i bought the ones that were on the previous GT ....but with the alloy strip around the edge...as they have a better view being wider......suits me better.
To each their own I s'pose... :) The silver strip does look better.

Back