Filtering on a R3 R - is it too wide?

Guffer

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 R Black Edition
I’ve had my Rocket 3 R for a number of months now but still can’t bring myself to filter (lane splitting to you Americans) between lines of traffic. I just have the feeling the bars are a bit too wide and I’ll end up bashing a load of wing mirrors.

Anybody else feel like this or am I being overly concerned?

I’ve never had this issue with previous bikes (none of them were as wide-barred as the R3R though!)

Last edited:
I think it all depends on the kind of bike you're used to riding. I've ridden a lot of "wide-bodied" bikes and so lane splitting with the R3R is not a problem for me. In fact, the low center of gravity and instant torque makes it easier to maneuver than the other wide-bodies I've ridden, and comparable even to some of the naked sport bikes I've owned or ridden. I've had nothing but fun on the New R 3 no matter what I've done on it, including lane splitting. My suggestion is to pick a more negotiable spot and give it a try - you may be pleasantly surprised!

It's easier than my 2014 Rocket. I split traffic on both although I feel more confident on the GT only because it feels lighter. Both are fun to split traffic with although you certainly need to evaluate before you start riding between those knuckleheads. :thumbsup:

Lane filtering wasn't legal until 2016 but motorcyclists in California have been doing it since I was a kid. It was always illegal but since it alleviated traffic in high traffic city areas the police more or less looked the other way (and the motor cops have always done it). You can ride 'safely' between vehicles driving under 30 mph but can't ride over 10 mph faster than the traffic. The law was meant for motorcycles splitting traffic at stop signs or red lights to get to the front of the pack. The law only discourages splitting traffic over the speed of 30 mph so in essence you will not be cited if you split traffic driving 55mph if you are going 65 mph in a 65 mph zone (freeway). If you go over 65 mph you may get cited. Another area you get cited is if traffic is bumper to bumper on the freeway at 05-10 mph and you split traffic at anywhere from 35 mph to 70 mph as they often do. Then the CHP will definitely have a chat with you . There are always dipsh*** that will abuse this law especially around big cities like LA and SF but it really is a good law even if it is an 'open to interpretation' law.

Back