F@cking disaster

Well I for one am glad you waited...I certainly would not of understood a bunch of **** and $%#@!! and (*&^).....so thank you for that and I agree with Hanso...I think you should do your own wrenching and as you become more familiar you will find its really not that hard......you have the hard part out of the way...common sense!!! :D

Good luck and ask questions when your stumped!

mutt

Gosh sorry you had such trouble!
I wouldn't let the motorcycle guru near my bike again. Sounds as if you have more mechanic abilities than he does.

Don is a good guy and a good friend, now that my anger has worn off, I think people that do something for a living tend to get careless, it's just a job and they go home. When you are working on your own bike, it is a labor of love. I am a carpenter, when I am working on my own house, everything has to be 110%, I am going to try to look at this as a positive experience, an impetus to learn how to do it myself. I don't think the spring change is that hard, don't be afraid to try it yourself, the manual is pretty good, as far as step by step instructions.

A bit of busted knuckle garage trivia...when removing a broken bolt the easiest method I've found is to use a left hand twist drill bit...yeah I know...sounds like BS, and given some of my posts I understand the skepticism, but its for real. As the bit drills into the broken bolt it relieves the stress on the threads and the fact that the bit is turning to the left eventually backs out the remnant. I've used the technique on 50 year old head bolts that were rusted in place. I have two large rolling tool boxes and there isn't an easy out in either one...plenty of left hand twist bits, but no easy outs.

Good idea. That's what we were kind of hoping with tapping it. (to push it through). Easy outs don't work a very high percentage of the time, in my experience. Remember the pinch bolts are open on both ends, and it was drilled all the way through. But stainless is a really funky metal in a lot of ways, and imbedded in aluminum, too, which is very soft.

Yep..agreed...the thought just pooped into my head while I was reading the post...not that it would have worked in your case, just thought it was worth passing on

Back