It's certainly a confusing debate with vested interests on both sides raising issues that may or not be true. It will damage your engine, it's cleaner, it's cheaper, it's more sustainable, it's renewable, it robs you of power etc etc. The best part about the debate is that we at least seem to know these days whether the fuel we're buying contains ethanol and how much, unlike in the "old" days. In Australia at last there are mandatory labelling laws and I think a limit on how much (E10).

I used to use E10 in my Vulcan. Did it by accident first up. Generally ran 'standard' unleaded which here is 91 octane. Tried Premium (95) but the engine sounded like it was about to jump out of the bike. E10 was cheaper and claimed to be around 93 octane, I guess to offset the lower energy of ethanol. The Vulcan ran great and was triouble free, accelerated faster and gave better mileage.

I almost exclusively use 98 octane (Ultimate, Vortex etc) in the Rocket and only use 95 if I have to. While there is an E10 version of thpremium fuels at some servos, I would prefer not to use anything with ethanol in it in the Rocket. Not sure why. It's an interesting and confusing debate.

Back