If you have a length of Stainless Steel threaded rod can't see what the problem is.

Would be stronger than the bars and if concerned about working loose get it long enough to double nut it and use locktight.

IMG_20190425_110103570.jpg
IMG_20190425_110053156.jpg
IMG_20190425_110200305.jpg
IMG_20190425_110145562.jpg
IMG_20190425_110136120.jpg
IMG_20190425_110124435.jpg
IMG_20190425_110039581.jpg
IMG_20190425_110043515.jpg

Had an off the other day, around 20mph. Someone cut me up and knocked me off or the other version is that I in the wrong lane and assumed that the forcefield of my indicator being on means the car will let me in.. anyway my point is that the Fehling crash bars took a good scrape along the ground and bent and pushed the radiator off its mounts tearing it and all fluid dumped. It was the threaded bar poking out of the engine that bent allowing the bars to bend forward and push the radiator an inch. I'm not sure if it was impact of the car on the bars or it hitting the ground, I think the latter. The bars certainly saved the engine block from damage but means I need to get a replacement radiator. The spacer which makes the bars stand away from the engine doesn't help, it's the weak point. You can see the chrome hasn't held up very well either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an off the other day, around 20mph. Someone cut me up and knocked me off or the other version is that I in the wrong lane and assumed that the forcefield of my indicator being on means the car will let me in.. anyway my point is that the Fehling crash bars took a good scrape along the ground and bent and pushed the radiator off its mounts tearing it and all fluid dumped. It was the threaded bar poking out of the engine that bent allowing the bars to bend forward and push the radiator an inch. I'm not sure if it was impact of the car on the bars or it hitting the ground, I think the latter. The bars certainly saved the engine block from damage but means I need to get a replacement radiator. The spacer which makes the bars stand away from the engine doesn't help, it's the weak point. You can see the chrome hasn't held up very well either.
Looks like the bars took out what they were supposed to protect. I just put a set on my 05 Rocket and after envisioned exactly what happened to you. Too much of a forward lean. Might be looking for some OEM bars now.

Yeah I'm thinking about the standard bars now. However it's the dreaded bar that bent, because the crash bar is held away from the engine using that spacer. If using a stronger bolt it could be okay? One thing I will say is don't bother with the more expensive Fehling bars which are chromed, rather stick with the cheaper craftride ones in black or stainless steel. The chrome on the fehlings rusted and flaked off in places.

I think this is really overblown as an issue!

I replaced my RHS after an off and simply undid the RHS bolts including the top bolt while on the side stand - replaced RHS, bolted up and have ridden well over 3000Klm since with no issues.
When first fitted we really greased up the threaded rod before inserting and the weight was not on it as fully jacked. This was to ensure it did not snag or catch as inserted. There was no resistance and the rod ends were easily evened before nuts fitted on both sides and carefully tightened evenly to ensure the proper amount of thread was left each side. Jack lowered and weight distributed and after finally tightening it has never moved since, even when replacing the RHS bar on the sidestand with engine weight still on it so nothing moved.

Was your RHS off fairly low speed then @Ishrub ? Mine was at least 20mph and it came down like a sack of spuds.

I've decided to stick with the craftride bars as the engine bar itself didn't bend, it was the dreaded/threaded bar. I'm going to order ones in stainless steel but use an engineers bolt in place of the threaded rod. It does seem that is the weak point. While the engine isn't going to fall out which was kinda the original concern, bending of the bolt will cost your radiator.

Attachments

• IMG_20190425_195811593.jpg
    IMG_20190425_195811593.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190425_195709970.jpg
    IMG_20190425_195709970.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 23
Just look at the play around the bar - I will stick with oem all those spacers and pieces of metalwork not to mention the bolts. Again just my opinion, the oem literally slide into place - torque the bolts and away you go.

If you've already got the OEM yeah stick with it. They seem rare as rocking horse s and I can't find one for sensible money in the UK

Back