Dyno tune weirdness

Couple quick questions,
What are you running the taller 240/55/16 tire? What is the speedo calibration correction set at in the tune? And your Air fuel meter does it record air fuel ratio verses rpm and throttle position? I've only ran the Wego III wide band A/F metering, which is why I'm asking. But first you rpm verses speed is off and if thats true your odometer can be off also. Oh and are you using a gps to monitor actual speed and mileage?
I am running the taller tire and I removed the Tune ECU correction. The speedometer is now pretty close. The Innovate only displays air/fuel and does nothing else. I think I can data log with it attached to a laptop. My GPS speed closely matches the odometer.

I've been using a tune from the resources it's in my signature. So far the tune is still looking good like the electronics on the bike worked.
I'm attaching a screen shot of my Power Commander tune so you can see how much fuel had to be removed from the base Tune ECU tune.

Ah, I see that 20222_2SA map in the TuneECU sites custom tunes list - I have not used that one but from the description it has been worked on a lot in Africa.

I misspoke - I used the one directly below that and its base was 20227/8 I believe. I have a Hanso map on my 2015 Roadster.
Power-Tripp Jardine 3xK&NRU-2780a.hex
md5checksum
There are other tunes in the Resources tab above in this forumn that are tried-and-true.

I didn't do a map comparison between yours and the Tripp one but it would be interesting to see if there were any major deviations or if the later maps are closer to "optimal"...

I am running the taller tire and I removed the Tune ECU correction. The speedometer is now pretty close. The Innovate only displays air/fuel and does nothing else. I think I can data log with it attached to a laptop. My GPS speed closely matches the odometer.
Ok first if the speedo is correct then the odometer is off. When new the speedo is about 5 percent off and the speedo is correct. Inovate makes some nice stuff could be it records and when you done you can link the laptop to down load like the Wego. Mine once I set the air fuel ratio it would suggest the needed changes in the fueling map. Coming full circle for me. Before Tune ECU, before pcv and its auto tune. I used to use tune boy, wego, polish autotune.
2010_0805_042821.jpg

2010_0805_042802.jpg

Ah the old days on my 06

I had the 2006 R3 Classic tuned a while back and it was running very rich in the lower RPM/throttle positions like around 2000-3000 rpm. Example: 70 mph in 5th is 2500 rpm and the bike would run 10.3-10.5:1 air fuel it should cruise around 14:1 air fuel. My mileage went from low to mid 40 mpg to 35 mpg. The back of the bike is covered in black soot.

I installed an Innovate air/fuel gauge and wideband o2 sensor to monitor the bike.

Day of tune in Phoenix AZ was 118 degrees elevation 1086 feet
I live in Payson AZ and the same day 98 degrees elevation 5,003 feet.

I rode down to Phoenix today to have him re-tune the bike and the 93 mile ride took 1/2 of a tank of gas that's hardly 30mpg. The bike was running rich on the ride down.
He put it up on the dyno and everything looks good...WTF.....under 20% throttle was running 14:1 and over 20% throttle was 13.3???? Right where it's supposed to be. He made a few
tweeks to the map but nothing major.

Does the temperature and elevation at the tune shop being different than where I live be that big of a deal? Don't these bikes have sensors that monitor such things?

Being adaptive does running it on the dyno at 1000 feet elevation make it remap the OEM base map while he's tuning then I go to 5000 elevation and it remaps again? Maybe a sensor is
screwed up. I have the new blue TPS set to .63, stepper set to .75 throttle bodies are synced.

The air/fuel mixture coming home to Payson was spot on I'm wondering in a few days if that won't change.

I hope my explanation is clear. What the heck is going on???!!!
The short answer is cruise tuning. All it takes is a small amount of headwind or slighly faster and if your cruise tuning range isn’t or doesn’t accommodate and the bike will be running rich. Just my thoughts without knowing much more about your tune.

My bike pulls 40+mpg at 75mph. But add some headwind and it drops mid 30’s. Mines spent significant time on the chassis dyno to get it this good.

Ask your tuner to broaden your cruise power range.

The short answer is cruise tuning. All it takes is a small amount of headwind or slighly faster and if your cruise tuning range isn’t or doesn’t accommodate and the bike will be running rich. Just my thoughts without knowing much more about your tune.

My bike pulls 40+mpg at 75mph. But add some headwind and it drops mid 30’s. Mines spent significant time on the chassis dyno to get it this good.

Ask your tuner to broaden your cruise power range.
He tuned 20% and down 14:1 and above 20% 13.3:1 so the cruise range is pretty wide open.

Back