Driveshaft spline stripped

TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Anyone had an issue with their driveshaft spline stripping.My bike is just out of warranty . Only by 1 month and i've been told d'shaft spline stripped due to lack of lurication. Triumph does'nt stipulate that this be done at services. I have always had services done by factory trained tech just in case of any warranty issues.They are claiming high mielage (68.000 klms) is the cause of this and clutch issues. Just had clutch housing bearing replaced. Bike is jumping out of 1st first gear 8 out of 10 times i pull away. Dealer claims they could not get it to do this on their test ride. Any assistance/advice be appreciated.

The jumping out of gear only just started in past week or so. Never done it before, ive had the bike since new. Know they have an problem with selector forks but dealer claiming no sign of problem there.

I was jumping out of 1st for a bit but "fixed" that by always letting the clutch out in neutral before engaging 1st. And/or doing what JoseyW says - either works.
Not enough k's on mine to have stripped the spline.

I've never had a problem with either going into 1st or jumping out of 1st until a week or so ago, i'm sure its not a " you're not putting it into gear right" issue... Good idea to have whoever changes your rear tyre to grease spline on driveshaft every time wheel is off. Mine is cactus, driveshaft and final drive spline. A new diff costs $5,500. Triumph Australia are being helpful considering my bike is out of warranty.

G'day Pedro.Thanks for responding.What year bike you got? How many k's when it **** itself ? Did they fix it for you ? Sorry for all the questions but im hoping Triumph Australia will come to the party on a warranty claim. Thanks again.

So the thing never made and noise while it was wearing the splines off? That sucks.
I didn't read it, but where was the failure again? the splines at the wheel or at the engine?

My bike is a oct 04. it failed at 25000 km .it did not blow up or stop working,But i was checking it as i had read about it happening to another bike,the splines where very badly worn. it was not far off total failing.I have sent you a PM

G'day Hellfire, only noise has been a shuddering / clunking when i am pulling up at lights. Only in the last couple of weeks. The spline on the end of the drive- shaft and the spline on the diff housing it fits into are both stripped. Triumph Australia reckon they advised all their dealers to lubricate the spline every time a tyre is changed. You heard this advice to dealers over there?

Back