HELP! Fender rail nut stripped.

sds

.040 Over
Ride
2014 R3R,
I messed up and stripped the threads on the nut that holds the fender rail to the fender. Does anyone know exactly how the nut is held in place?

SDS

What year? Std, classic, touring, roadster? Front fender or rear? - Below is a standard model - If front #13 shows the 2 inner reinforcement brackets the nut mounts to - If rear, #3 is the bracket they mount to.......... so the nut is welded to, or made into the bracket

1000081-4-2.jpg

If it is the rear, then get a longer bolt and a nut that will fit it. Thread the bolt through as far as it will go, then attach the nut the the end and tighten it.

Just a thought though, when putting the bolts into the rear fender, put a bit of grease on the threads on the bolt. This will stop crud from sticking to the exposed thread insid the wheel area. Also don't tighten any of the bolts untill all of them are in place and threaded a decent way in - then tighten them.

If it is the rear, then get a longer bolt and a nut that will fit it. Thread the bolt through as far as it will go, then attach the nut the the end and tighten it.

Just a thought though, when putting the bolts into the rear fender, put a bit of grease on the threads on the bolt. This will stop crud from sticking to the exposed thread insid the wheel area. Also don't tighten any of the bolts untill all of them are in place and threaded a decent way in - then tighten them.
Helicoils are your friend - as are nutserts. Copper Grease.

I was going to say that, but then I got scared some a-hole would come along & cuse me of setting him up for the wide 240 tire being closer to the nut now & getting cut by the now deeper set bolt/nut when shocks get compressed. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Now they can berate you!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seeing we have the experts here on rear fenders, recently I sold a Rivco slotted rear solo chrome rack to @1olbull that I had purchased with a bunch of Rocket 3 gear. Both of us have Roadsters but I had never tried to fit it but when he did he found it did not fit his Roadster. The bracket's x3 mount holes are the same but it did not fit the curve of his Roadster fender. Others have had the same rack fitted to R3's as covered here Need help identifying a chrome solo rack and some bits?
This may give 1olbull a chance to shift it to someone who can happily use it.

Did they change the shape / curve of the rear fender from Std/Classic to Roadster?
I know the seats both combined and separate pillion and rider are interchangeable.
What about the rear fender?

Luckily I have now picked up a front and rear fender with the red stripe that I know will fit my 2010 Roadster.

Thanks @Ishrub
Would be nice if we got this sorted out and someone could benefit from the nice rack I now have. :thumbsup:

Back