Paul Bryant

Living Legend
Ride
2006 Rocket
I've been looking around here for a suitable drive shaft spline lube.
The local bike shop has found this for me.
Any thoughts as to if this is suitable.

MOTUL MOLYBDEN
Multipurpose Grease
Lithium – Extreme-Pressure
NLGI 2 – Reinforced with Molybdenum Disulphide
TYPE OF USE
Multipurpose grease specially recommended for civil engineering machinery working in severe
conditions : heavy load, repeated shocks, vibrations, presence of water and difficult
maintenance.
Greasing of roller bearings, articulations, bearings, hubs, ball joint, cables…
Temperature for use : -30°C / -22°F to +130°C / +266°F
PERFORMANCE
Grease with lithium soap and extreme-pressure, anti-oxidation & anti-corrosion additivation,
formulated with a solid lubricant : molybdenum disulphide.
The molybdenum disulphide powder used in that grease is very efficient in boundary conditions
and improves the life duration of components working under heavy duty.
Good resistance to water.
Adherent.
Good anti-corrosion and anti-rust protection
Very good mechanical stability
Good resistance to shearing and vibrations.
Designation DIN 51 502 : KPF 2 K-30
PROPERTIES
Colour Visual Black
Consistency grade DIN 51 818 NLGI 2
Soap Lithium
Penetrability - 60 cycles ASTM D217 265 / 295 x10-1 mm
Drop point ASTM D 2265 185°C / 365°F
Anti-corrosion EMCOR IP 2200 / 0
4 ball test ASTM D 2596 3200 N
FAG FE-9 Test DIN 51 821 F50>100h at 130°C

We retain the right to modify the general characteristics of our products in order to offer to our customers the latest technical development 8041
Product specifications are definitive from the order which is subject to our general conditions of sale and warranty. Made in FRANCE
MOTUL - 119 Bd Félix Faure - 93303 AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX - BP 94 – France - Tel 33 1 48 11 70 00 - FAX 33 1 48 33 28 – Web site : www.motul.com 06/00

I was told that this stuff is it.
I had the same question and this seemed to be a favorite on here.
Got some on Ebay.

Loctite LOC51048 Moly Paste Anti-Seize Compound LB8012, 8oz 79340510487 | eBay

Loctite LB 8012.jpg

Last edited:
I'd prefer to use the loctite, but it's not available here hence looking for something else that is up to spec for the Rocket.

John, do you think that this CV Joint stuff is up to the job of the Rockets drive shaft loading ?

I'd prefer to use the loctite, but it's not available here hence looking for something else that is up to spec for the Rocket.

John, do you think that this CV Joint stuff is up to the job of the Rockets drive shaft loading ?

Well they use the stuff on CV joints and uni joints that take upwards of 500+HP so I think we should do well with the same CV Joint paste/grease - it is one of the highest rates greases for the application including spline lube.

Paul - Do you know anybody who maintains helicopters? - If so the grease they use for rotor hubs is stunning. My mate in Madrid has a tin of "goo" from the Eurocopter workshops.

Well, ....actually ... I do
Chris runs a Business called Rotorcraft Services.
He built this from "out of hours" components.

The power-plant is a Rolls-Royce/Allison C20B type used in the Bell Jet Ranger and Hughes 500 helicopters.

Helicopter engine in a motorbike. Why not?

1459814521729.jpg

Back