Dragging The Frame

wilbur-t

Top Fuel
Here is a pic of my right bar that the peg etc. mounts to. Has anyone else almost worn a hole in theirs? Jamie or Ugarte maybe?

A couple of times I've put this bar on the ground so hard that it felt like the rear tire moved over a couple of inches.:(

Also the brake line is very close to the ground when this happens. I noticed they re-routed the brake line on later models.

Attachments

• 4211235439.jpg
    4211235439.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 60
Of Wear Parts

I sure have, Wilbur. Mine is due for replacement any time soon (thinking about it, the brake line is the only thing I would worry about). But the r/h foot peg mount just cracked a month ago as a result of over-enthusiastic leaning. I have started shaving the new peg unit but it's still protruding too much. Meaning that what's left of the tube you're talking about has been given a bit of... reprieve, until such time as the new peg wears out :D . Jamie

solution

Instead of replacing the bar and having the same thing happen you could have someone weld some hardened steell plate on it then have it re-chromed.

More surface area added (by welding "skid" plate onto bar) might not be as forgiving in a hard lean & cause the rear monster to loose traction & skid out. If you continue to "get it" that hard, you might consider recurving the bars to gain some clearance. Have you put the shorter rear shocks on it? Wow, I don't believe I've got the nads to give her more lean that what it takes to drag the foot peg nipples.

There are some good captains out there, then there are you guys. Keep at it.

See ya.

Have you put the shorter rear shocks on it?

I'm running the 12.5 inch Progressive 440's, which seemed to be about a .25 inch longer than the stock ones. Did make the dragging problem worse because the bike feels more planted in the turns.:)

r/h foot peg mount just cracked a month ago as a result of over-enthusiastic leaning

I wish I could come over there and follow you through those mountain roads,Jamie, just to see if I could keep you in sight. [675 not included, I know better than that!]:p

Na

If you weld some 1/8 inch hardend steel on there it wouldn't efect anything and the hard steel would slide better than the soft tub on your bars.
Something to think about, If you wear threw the tub it will leave an edge for you to catch something on or dig into the raod with and that might couse you to loose it.

No Prisoners Taken

I'm running the 12.5 inch Progressive 440's, which seemed to be about a .25 inch longer than the stock ones. Did make the dragging problem worse because the bike feels more planted in the turns.:)

I wish I could come over there and follow you through those mountain roads,Jamie, just to see if I could keep you in sight. [675 not included, I know better than that!]:p

That is worth quoting in its entirety Wilbur:bch:

My Wilbers are about half an inch longer than stock. And they are not set up for comfort (I don't suppose they could). The bike does indeed feel "more planted in the turns". At times more... planted than turning. Ah Ah!

Only wish you could see the joyously silly grin on my face upon perusing your prose. Am with you on this Rocket III folly, wholeheartedly. Jamie:D

You guys have way bigger cajonies than I do.

One of the guys at work has a VTX that he changed the exhaust on to a big single muffler. Last year he made a wicked right hander, caught the muffler on the pavement and skipped the rear tire out. Did about 3K damage to the bike, got a real bad case of gravel rash and missed 3 weeks of work.

More power to ya.:D

One of the guys at work has a VTX that he changed the exhaust on to a big single muffler. Last year he made a wicked right hander, caught the muffler on the pavement and skipped the rear tire out

I think about that possibility.....I do try to be careful, but the R3 is like a race horse straining at the bit when driven slow.

At least nothing drags on the front. I've seen a big HD go down when his oversized crash bars drug the ground hard and lifted his front wheel. :(

Back