Do I have 1st gear problems???

Wannbe

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3R
I have less than 3000 mi on my beast and 1st gear just dont feel right. It goes in and has no problems but doesnt feel, at the shifter, like it is completely engaged. It has never popped out or any other problems. Just wondering if i need to run to the dealer or just casually mention it sometime. lol

Have it checked could be an adjustment needed , are you under warranty ?

Have it checked could be an adjustment needed , are you under warranty ?
I would say so as he has a 2014 model. I use a full synthetic Oil and mine is smooth.
Does the transmission give a clunk when engaged from neutral?
Best way to check is to start the bike (clutch in obviously) once started and in neutral release the clutch (you should hear the clutch engage) now put it in first - the bike should give you a clunk as it engages. If this gives you the clunk all should be fine unless your clutch requires adjustment.
Just my thoughts

Check that your clutch is adjust absolutely correctly. Too much slack, or too little slack will give you problems. Difficulty selecting first is one of the symptoms of poor clutch adjustment.

Double clutching the Rocket... I believe this is common on quite a few Rockets...

Try this when starting the bike... Sit on the bike, kickstand up, key on, switch on, gauges will sweep, make sure bike in neutral... Pull clutch lever and push starter button... After bike starts with the engine running release the clutch while still in neutral... Then re-pull the clutch lever and step on the gear shift leaver with authority... You should hear and feel an audible "clunk" of it going into first gear...

S/F

B

I guess I'm going to the dealer, because it doesnt have the clunk. That's what was feeling wrong. No clunk.

I guess I'm going to the dealer, because it doesnt have the clunk. That's what was feeling wrong. No clunk.
I HAVE AN 09 Classic and a 2012 Roadster and the Roadster gearbox is much smoother and shifts like butter all the Roadsters Ive tested have the same sweet slick shifting gearbox

Do you let the clutch out with the bike in neutral before engaging 1st? Do that and it should klunk - less so on a Roadster but it should still do it.

Compared to my Daytona the rocket gear box feels downright primitive. It is clunky and you can feel the gear engage, so you positive feedback that you have shifted.

On the other end of the scale the Daytona slips into gear with no noise and no feel of engagement, a few times it has left me wondering it its actually in gear before releasing g the clutch.

I mark it up to big components to handle big torque, functions fine. 1st gear always clunks into gear for me.

Do you let the clutch out with the bike in neutral before engaging 1st? Do that and it should klunk - less so on a Roadster but it should still do it.

This is the answer. Before putting the bike into 1'st, release the clutch just a little bit, and press the shifter down... it will clunk with authority. I would not consider this a problem, as most bikes I've owned have a similiar type of "issue".

Enjoy your bike!

Back