Dealing with engine heat...

Corey,
my R3T gets hot as hell also and it literally can burn through my jeans. I had the same problem on my 600 Ninja. I bought several rolls of header insulation wrap and wrapped my exhaust from the head to the muffler and this worked great on the Ninja. I notice on the R3T that the heat seems to come from both sides, so even if I were to wrap the pipes and remove/cover all of that pretty chrome, I am not sure if it would fix the problem.
I do have an idea though. Since the heat you feel is radiant and not conductive, you my try taking one of those windshield / sun-shields that you see in cars...and just drape it over your bike so it hangs between your legs and the engine. Maybe a little cutting or fitting will help. Or a welders blanket cut and stitched to fit. This should block the heat from radiating to your knees and inner thighs when its really hot. Then when you are out of the hot spot just throw it in your luggage box. Done. No mods to the bike needed. What is good about this is you can match the color with your bike also if you like.

I have a new soft fender cover that i put over the seat and also a sheep skin so when i leave work it is not to bad.

I TAKE A 3/8 HOLE PUNch and punch three holes in the instep of my boots.
works wonders.

My inside thighs get burned in city traffic if the temp's over 90. It's bad ass hot on the side panels.
Seems like the heat radiates up from directly under the seat.

Last edited:
My inside thigh get burned in city traffic if the temp's over 90. It's bad ass hot on the side panels.
Seems like the heat radiates up from directly under the seat.

I have had that same sensation?

I have a sheepskin on the seat. Not for the heat, but because I have always thought they provide better air flow and are cool in the summer. Plus I never swing my leg over onto a hot leather seat.

I have also found that if I do not hug the tank and open my legs a bit I get good airflow.

In slow traffic it gets very uncomfortable for sure. I am riding in a parade tomorrow and could take the America, but the Rocket is just too much of a crowd pleaser.

Wow folks. Your all sitting on the biggest production bike the world has ever seen. Ride every day. Summer ,Fall and winter. Spring time is great. All two days of it here in OKLAHOMA. Yes it gets hot. Sometimes it gets cold. Don't matter. Yes even with a full modified Harley it runs cooler than the ROCKET X. The heat during the summer time can cook your #ss. The cold during the winter can leave you shaking for hours after you get off the bike. Don't matter much. The grin and satisfaction of riding is what counts. You want comfort. Go buy a Van. Air plus a few cup holders included. Had a guy one summer in 100 degree heat plus at about 80 percent humidity pull up beside me in his cage with kids. He rolled his window down and asked me if i wanted to trade;););););) My answer was a third gear shift with the front wheel never hitting the ground.:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Wow folks. Your all sitting on the biggest production bike the world has ever seen. Ride every day. Summer ,Fall and winter. Spring time is great. All two days of it here in OKLAHOMA. Yes it gets hot. Sometimes it gets cold. Don't matter. Yes even with a full modified Harley it runs cooler than the ROCKET X. The heat during the summer time can cook your #ss. The cold during the winter can leave you shaking for hours after you get off the bike. Don't matter much. The grin and satisfaction of riding is what counts. You want comfort. Go buy a Van. Air plus a few cup holders included. Had a guy one summer in 100 degree heat plus at about 80 percent humidity pull up beside me in his cage with kids. He rolled his window down and asked me if i wanted to trade;););););) My answer was a third gear shift with the front wheel never hitting the ground.:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Sonny you are a sage.

Same reason I never bought a Goldwing. Dang thing doesn't have AC

12" Cowboy Boots keep the heat away.
IMG_0238.JPG Do not have a clue. Do they make anything else? Heard from a few Harley riders I know of that said something about tennis shoes. Must be something new. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back