Dealing with engine heat...

Corey

.040 Over
Ride
08 Rocket 3 Touring
I have a question for those riders in hot climates doing city driving. I currently live in Alberta, but plan to move back to Phoenix soon, I love my R3T, but even when its 30 degrees and I am in traffic in the city, the engine heat between my legs is unbelievable. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to NOT cook yourself when its hot out? mods? deflection ? different seat? (I currently have a corbin leather dual). Any suggestion would help.

Left Phoenix. Not missing it.

Goldwing and Concours vent heat away. R3 probably does not. Alberta for Phoenix? No.

I understand you can adjust start temp for fan. If it were set lower, it might help.

Perhaps some plastic grills might be made to push heat away from legs when not moving, vent more to side. Harley riders have this problem in spades.

Left Phoenix. Not missing it.

Goldwing and Concours vent heat away. R3 probably does not. Alberta for Phoenix? No.

I understand you can adjust start temp for fan. If it were set lower, it might help.

Perhaps some plastic grills might be made to push heat away from legs when not moving, vent more to side. Harley riders have this problem in spades.
I was in Phoenix for 17 years and after 14 in Canada I cant wait to go back, but I was on a HD back then, commuting in traffic is a concern of mine, actually considering a smaller "commuting" bike like a Speedmaster or America to add to my garage. All fairings Ive found so far are to break wind around legs, maybe Ill have to have something made. thanks

Corey,

The R3 has to be better than a HD. Two friends swapped out new Tri Glides for the newer liquid cooled head models.

A fiberglass shield attached on the inward part of the radiator, at perhaps 55 degrees of angle might help. Running full synthetic oil might cut a couple degrees. My Concours was not as effective as the Goldwing at moving heat away from the rider. But, it had two reversible wings to move more heat away, or toward the rider.

I can imagine a scoop, made of fiberglass, made to force radiator heat firmly away at a standstill on the R3. I do not think radiant heat from the exhaust manifold will be a big problem.

Phoenix finally has an at least adequate freeway system now. You can loop around the entire metro area, and never see a stop sign. This will keep you mostly on the move, and I expect you will find it better than you recall. You can jump off and spend minimal time creeping along on surface streets.

The "heat island" effect is somewhat worse, due to the ever expanding metro footprint. Amazingly, up here in Oregon, I welcome the heat off the R3.

I do not envy you headed back to Phoenix. Best wishes. At least on the Rocket, you can wrap up some brats in foil, affix to exhaust manifold. They'll be done to a turn commuting home in July.

Tis a big, huge engine you are straddling, larger than some car engines.
I have headers on my Roadster and it DOES get more than hot in stop and go heavy traffic.
A few weeks ago I watched @albertaduke swing his right leg up and place his knee on his seat while we were in some REAL HEAVY, stop-go-stop traffic for over a half hour!
We just COWBOY UP!!! :laugh: :rolleyes:
A little discomfort is very much worth the awesome ride!!!!!! :thumbsup: :inlove :thumbsup:

If I moved back to Phoenix, I would keep the Rocket. Screw the heat.

The Goldwing really is excellent at keeping heat off the rider, but I would not go back. And, I think the R3 is tame compared to an air cooled Harley.

Harley= "Huevos Rancheros" for guys in Phoenix, when it is hot out. Your average Rocket would hardly even lightly poach 'em.

:)

I have heard of folks removing the heat shields. Using pipe wrap and then putting the heat shields back on. That might help a bit?

A small 12 volt air conditioner mounted in the right side engine guard??? :roll: :roll: :laugh:

The heat is noticeable down here while riding in the summer; but certainly not unbearable.

I wouldn't live in a "big city;" no matter what.

Last edited:
Rode year round up in the Northern Territory (33 degrees c and humid for at least half the year) .. maybe us Aussies are just a little bit .... tougher :whitstling:

Back