Dealing with engine heat...

If it hasn't been mentioned already, exhaust wrap will help get some heat off the leg and out the back. A person could also make a big chrome heat shield to put over the headers again, but I can't see that looking nice. Some sort of a deflector for the radiator heat will help too, just have to be sure it still flows well enough to cool proper.

Rode mine through West Texas in July...not real smart, but bearable...just. It gets over 100 F here in Texas during the summer and I still ride back and forth to work. Leave before sun up so you don't arrive for the work day smelling like @ss and drenched in sweat. Ride home shouldn't matter if you get drenched in sweat as you can change when you get there. I arrange my work schedule to miss rush hour traffic so that I reduce the amount of time I spend sitting i one spot on the freeway baking my balls on an idling two wheeled blast furnace. When you are moving the wind evaporates the sweat and keeps you a little cooler. Loose light colored long sleeve clothing helps as well. Under Armor, Columbia and others make pretty good long sleeve shirts that wick moisture away and provide 30 SPF protection from the sun. I usually wear one in summer and change into a work shirt when I arrive.

Men’s PFG Zero Rules Cooling Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt | Columbia.com

Didn't mean anyone to take offence at the man up comment. But these are big, hot engines and that's just what they are. Maybe I should have said if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

If you have a screen on then the best thing you can do in hot weather is take it off (and burn it, but that's a whole different discussion). Screens will send a lot more hot air off the engine your way.

Also, I ride all year. Through summer here the temp regularly hits 40C (well over the ton F) and into mid and sometimes high 40s. Yes it's warm, but its not going to stop me riding. if you can't take the heat..... ;)

Rode year round up in the Northern Territory (33 degrees c and humid for at least half the year) .. maybe us Aussies are just a little bit .... tougher :whitstling:

That there is DOUBTFUL, M8! :inlove

Some of this too is a humidity topic. There is a big difference between Phoenix 100 and Texas 100, I have ridden both. In Phoenix your are baking. In Texas you are broiling. Depending on whether you want to die a dried up husk (Phoenix) or melt into the road (Texas), its a matter of choice.

I wear a band in July and August that simply reads "It don't matter how mangled I am, drag me to the grass!" just in case I go down.

If you want to retain the factory look n the roadster then install the TORS and TORS tune (dealer tune) or Dyno which is better, this will help as the catalytic converters are in the mufflers also a free flowing cross over pipe would help, while you are there take the header pipe off and remove the heat shields then send the header pipe away to be ceramic coated. When done reinstall increasing the gap in the heat shield between the header and sheild.
You will NEVER eliminate the heat but you can try to manage it.

If you want to retain the factory look n the roadster then install the TORS and TORS tune (dealer tune) or Dyno which is better, this will help as the catalytic converters are in the mufflers also a free flowing cross over pipe would help, while you are there take the header pipe off and remove the heat shields then send the header pipe away to be ceramic coated. When done reinstall increasing the gap in the heat shield between the header and sheild.
You will NEVER eliminate the heat but you can try to manage it.

That is actually some very sound advice. If I may, so I understand it better;
- TORS tune
- TORS pipes? are these offered with high flow cats for the R3R to maintain the factory look?
- Who offers a x over pipe?
- Ceramic coating header
- Gap or better shields

Right?

Ridden across the Barkly Highway on both my RIII and a acquaintances HD Tourer , was 48 degrees c .. HD was a lot hotter. That's why I was riding the thing, owner couldn't handle the heat .. he was going to faint :cool:

it seems to me that u could make deflectors behind the radiator and fix your fan to come on when u hit the brake this should blow the heat away from u.
also i live 10 miles to house so its not to bad on the way in but i get a little warm on the way home. of coarse it is about 8 degrees hotter in Phoenix.
when i bought my bike i came back through Phoenix in the hottest part of the day of the summer i got into that special lane and i was making the other cars look like they were sitting still.
hopefully u have other transportation for the real hot days or u live real close to work.
to my understanding the later bikes the mufflers had the cats inside of them so when u get the tors that is all u have to do and a tune
when in Phoenix in the summer on a hot day u can hear the tires trying to stick to the pavement.

Back