David Platt shorty tune

Twiz003

.020 Over
Ride
2004 rocket
Hi all,
Have bought a DP shorty pipe and cat delete to fit my old 2004. Running Tors, cat delete box and 20228 at the moment.

Had a few conversations with members and the general view is i will be running lean. As i can't afford to go down the dyno route are there any tunes that are close to where I need to be ?
I use Tune ECU for general faults etc

I'm not fitting the pipes till I get some advice as she is running well and I don't want any damage.

Thanks
Nick

Hi all,
Have bought a DP shorty pipe and cat delete to fit my old 2004. Running Tors, cat delete box and 20228 at the moment.

Had a few conversations with members and the general view is i will be running lean. As i can't afford to go down the dyno route are there any tunes that are close to where I need to be ?
I use Tune ECU for general faults etc

I'm not fitting the pipes till I get some advice as she is running well and I don't want any damage.

Thanks
Nick
Hi Twiz I’m in the same boat as you thought owning a Rocket was all that was needed to get help but doesn’t look like it is

ANYONE HELP TWO ROCKET OWNERS

As Barbagris mentioned , drop our in-house tuning guru @HansO a pm , or failing that , there are a few guys here that have fitted DP pipes , and be happy to share their tunes , which you can upload yourself via tune ECU.. I use a dyno tuner as I have a pcv . There are dyno tuners around who will tune via tune ecu ! If you are using stock intake and had the Triumph Tors tune , fitting the shortys will make it a tad lean which will manifest itself as decel popping . Don't fret , tell us a bit about yourselves and the help and advice will come ! :thumbsup:

Hi Barbagris,
Thanks for the advice, mine is a 2004 so first of the production line. I have PM'd @HansO, but from other posts ive read i believe he has a few things going
Any other takers that have a tune for DP shorties as detailed bellow would be gratefully received.

Hi Nat69,
Im up Nr Bognor Regis, W Sussex.......No snow here! But the old girl is staying wrapped up till the salts gone!

Had the 2004 R3 for 11 years, 30k on it and got through one clutch so far!

As it is now its got Tors, Cat bypass, K&N under seat.
Idle stepper motor strapped under tank and throttle screw adjusted to give stable tick over (works a treat)
Full Maxton racing suspension front and back.
Last rear ended with 1/4 chicken strips (as pointed by Russ at his tyre shop, portsmouth) going in heavy on the throttle/corners is the sort of riding it likes!

I have now to fit DP shorties and his cat bypass

I also have Tune ECU for remapping, but haven't used it for more than upload/downloading and simple fault diagnosis so don't really know its full potential!

Thanks
T

I have now to fit DP shorties and his cat bypass
If you have the TORS tune in and based on your current filter choice - you are pretty safe - this is not to say it cannot be "more".

The underseat K&N is frankly not a liberating mod - as the intake restriction comes from elsewhere. And Exhaust-wise it is the headers that are the bottleneck.

If you are TuneECU savvy - you could just up the fueling table values across the board by 5% and see how it feels.

1/4" strips - Have you seen @Paul Bryant used tyre stock?

If you have the TORS tune in and based on your current filter choice - you are pretty safe - this is not to say it cannot be "more".

The underseat K&N is frankly not a liberating mod - as the intake restriction comes from elsewhere. And Exhaust-wise it is the headers that are the bottleneck.

If you are TuneECU savvy - you could just up the fueling table values across the board by 5% and see how it feels.

1/4" strips - Have you seen @Paul Bryant used tyre stock?

****.....I thought I was doing quite well! im going to have to lift the pegs a bit and drink some hero juice

Last edited:
****.....I thought I was doing quite well! im going to have to lift the pegs a bit and drink some hero juice
No need to lift the pegs , just replace the hero blobs as required . I felt proud I was balling the edges of my tyres but @Paul Bryant takes it to a whole new level . It's a testament tho to what the behemoth bike is actually capable of in skilled hands !

It's a testament tho to what the behemoth bike is actually capable of in skilled hands !
And/or a "looney hobbit".

I hit the blobs when I first had the R3. Better suspension stopped it squatting. Severe ear buffeting from Monti also reduces the likelihood. Having ridden off the edge once or twice on other bikes - I have no intention to risk it on the R3. 1/4" is good. It's also the optimum head on a pint of Guinness - make of that what you will.

Back