'09 RIII tune out popping in exhaust over run

DanDare

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 touring
Into my second year of RIII ownership; love the bike and power delivery, but previous owner removed muffler baffles and bike pops and farts through the 'open' pipes on over run (throttle closed, slowing down) like a Banshee eating a hot curry after a Friday night out on Guinness.

Although I own numerous classic bikes over my 50+ year riding career, I don't do tech well. Now if the bike were carbureted, I'd diagnose fuel mix leanness or even a manifold leak, but all this talk on the forum of electrickery and black boxes playing different tunes has me swivel eyed with a total lack of comprehension.

Can someone explain how to correct this lean condition please. I've always done all my own work on all my bikes but have to admit changing tunes is well beyond me. Key questions are 1) What tune should I use to richen the low end mixture? and 2) Where do I take it to get this tune installed?

Please dumb down your answers to a level that might be understandable to this analog man in a digital world.
Cheers,
Dan Dare in PA

Back