DARKSIDE RUBBING TYRE

NONE of the CAR TIRES fit a motorcycle rim correctly they are a different design than a car rim
I wonder how much it would cost to weld in a triumph rear wheel center to a car tire wheel with the correct offset. does anyone have a trashed rear wheel with a good center?

I wonder how much it would cost to weld in a triumph rear wheel center to a car tire wheel with the correct offset. does anyone have a trashed rear wheel with a good center?
Why bother? - a 225 fits perfectly. Did for me anyway.

The rim is AFAIK perfectly centred.
Offsetting a single track rim just to fit a wider tyre is (speaking as an engineer) a tadge stoopid.
I know quite a lot of track use Guzzi owners do it - but they are not vertical very often.
For an outfit - maybe justified, but a 225 will give enough grip & maybe actually less prone to aquaplaning.
ime (on 4 wheels) wide tyres are worse in bad weather than slim ones.

There is a guy in Germany that welds new sized rims on - iirc about a grand per wheel. I know Scott had an 18" rim welded on.

I've never ridden any darkside motorcycle, so I can't weigh in on this debate. Further, I've never heard of any crash or failure caused by darksiding, so it seems more of a personal preference. However, the Tire and Rim Association publishes specs on, surprisingly, tires and rims, by which all tire and rim manufacturers abide. These ensure that car tire bead profiles match car rim profiles, and motorcycle tire bead profiles match motorcycle rim profiles. We can all agree that they're different. Whether or not it's "safe enough" is up to the individual rider. Motorcycling is factually many times more dangerous than driving, so we're all already taking a verifiable risk every time we ride. Is there any actual evidence of increased catastrophic tire failures with car tires over motorcycle tires on motorcycle rims?

My point is, what's the big deal if someone wants to darkside and doesn't mind the handling change? Every aspect of motorcycle design is a compromise on handling, power, emissions, comfort, cost, reliability, weight, etc., and this just seems like a rider customizing their ride to their preferences on those scales. One person's compromise is clearly not another's, but neither is "better".

Examining the “Dark Side”

CT vs MT.jpg

I've never ridden any darkside motorcycle, so I can't weigh in on this debate. Further, I've never heard of any crash or failure caused by darksiding, so it seems more of a personal preference. However, the Tire and Rim Association publishes specs on, surprisingly, tires and rims, by which all tire and rim manufacturers abide. These ensure that car tire bead profiles match car rim profiles, and motorcycle tire bead profiles match motorcycle rim profiles. We can all agree that they're different. Whether or not it's "safe enough" is up to the individual rider. Motorcycling is factually many times more dangerous than driving, so we're all already taking a verifiable risk every time we ride. Is there any actual evidence of increased catastrophic tire failures with car tires over motorcycle tires on motorcycle rims?

My point is, what's the big deal if someone wants to darkside and doesn't mind the handling change? Every aspect of motorcycle design is a compromise on handling, power, emissions, comfort, cost, reliability, weight, etc., and this just seems like a rider customizing their ride to their preferences on those scales. One person's compromise is clearly not another's, but neither is "better".

Examining the “Dark Side”

CT vs MT.jpg
YEP take a look at the difference in rims and tires

Back