Cranking problem???

mully95

Living Legend
Ride
Roadster
I rode my 2010 Roadster to work the other day and had a problem cranking it before leaving work to come home. I would hit the start button and it would backfire through the throttle bodies and shut off... over and over. The battery started to die and I thought I have to do something different before it got to the point that it would not crank at all. So I opened the throttle a tad bit and hit the start button again. The engine came to life and I held the throttle open. It ran really bad with the RPM jumping up and down spitting and sputtering. Then after about 25 seconds it smoothed out and all was fine. I have had this problem before but the bike would run rough after a cold start but then finally smooth out. However this really got my attention because it wouldn't start at all just by hitting the start button. I had to go to drastic measures.
Now today I rode it to work again. Cranked just fine in the morning and cranked just fine leaving work. One morning it cranked and went to 3000 rpm and stayed there. It wouldnt budge for awhile but then after about 30 seconds it dropped down to 850 rpm. This has got me puzzled.

It sounds like your primary TPS needs resetting. It is a simple job with either Tuneboy or TuneECU.

Well I went to Gatlinburg TN this weekend and the bike shut down twice while going down the road. Once I was in 5th gear and was slowing down to go around a curve and it just shut off. Then the second time I was going red light to red light and it shut down in third gear. Both times I just had to hit the start button and it fired back up and off I went. ???

sounds like you might have more than one problem. because the tps (throttle position sensor) primary at the left rear side of the engine always gives trouble i would replace it. it also has to be set as described in thread #2 If that is not your trouble then you will have a spare.
if the tps fixes your problem that would be good. when you describe the popping sounds like the gas is loading up. maybe an injector.
if the tps doesn't fix it you should get a good mechanic.
herman

I'll reset and check everything again. I guess I need to replace the TPS and get it over with. The dealership always tells me that its ok. They adjusted the stepper motor once because it was out of adjustment. This has been a on going problem for awhile but shutting down totally is a new problem. All wiring and everything on the bike has been checked but no body can't find anything. The dealership another words can't fix it and I've taken it to more than one Triumph dealership for repair.

Back