Weird gear selection problem - 2005 R3

RevRoss

DownUnder Brother
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Dooh... - posted this previously in an old thread - advice still sought PLEASE 😄.
I have a weird gear selection problem... I adjusted the clutch cable (fitted new levers) but now - without the motor running I can select neutral, 1st & 2nd gears and shift back to neutral fine. Starting the bike in neutral and shifting through the gears is fine but I can't find neutral again after I've shifted out of it that first time... The bike just shifts from 1st to 2nd (or 2nd to 1st). Any ideas what could be causing this?
Now living in the city (Melbourne CBD) and holding the clutch in on first gear when stationary is wearing thin (not to mention a tad unsafe). Did I mention I hate stop - go traffic?

On my 07 i shift it down into 1st then i quickly let out the clutch (about a third of the way)so it rolls forward a couple of inches then it is easy to lift up the lever to neutral.
But i keep my in first gear so I am ready to roll just in case. I also take a long time to stop so i slow down the people behind me.

Us old guys call it rolling the clutch... just a little dab will do ya.... rolling without letting the clutch out just a stich may not work...... happens on my harleys all the time.... jap bikes not so much... it means you ride instead of polish.... good on ya

Dooh... - posted this previously in an old thread - advice still sought PLEASE 😄.
I have a weird gear selection problem... I adjusted the clutch cable (fitted new levers) but now - without the motor running I can select neutral, 1st & 2nd gears and shift back to neutral fine. Starting the bike in neutral and shifting through the gears is fine but I can't find neutral again after I've shifted out of it that first time... The bike just shifts from 1st to 2nd (or 2nd to 1st). Any ideas what could be causing this?
Now living in the city (Melbourne CBD) and holding the clutch in on first gear when stationary is wearing thin (not to mention a tad unsafe). Did I mention I hate stop - go traffic?
I used to drop my bike into neutral at the lights, then a bloke pointed out its better to sit there with the clutch in, but also having allowed some room in front of you so if someone is looking at rear ending you, you can quickly launch the bike to the front left or right of the car in front of you, avoiding a serious incident.

I used to drop my bike into neutral at the lights, then a bloke pointed out its better to sit there with the clutch in, but also having allowed some room in front of you so if someone is looking at rear ending you, you can quickly launch the bike to the front left or right of the car in front of you, avoiding a serious incident.

plus 1

Plus 2

I get what you're all saying and thanks, but I'm still scratching my head about what caused this? Why one day can I select neutral fine and the next day I can't (and still can't). What suddenly changed after 18 years (2005 model)? Can I get it back to the way it was through cable adjustment?
There has to be something I'm missing.....

Different motor oil?
The clutch lever is either adjusted correct or it is not.
Did you change the idle speed?
I haven't got a clue what changed on your bike.
If you find out please tell me.

I get what you're all saying and thanks, but I'm still scratching my head about what caused this? Why one day can I select neutral fine and the next day I can't (and still can't). What suddenly changed after 18 years (2005 model)? Can I get it back to the way it was through cable adjustment?
There has to be something I'm missing.....
Sounds like an expensive trip to the mechanic is needed 😳🇦🇺

Back