Coolant Change Question??

Why doesn't anyone use the coolant that Triumph sells for their bikes.

Almost impossible to get here in the USA. It's Mobil HD diesel coolant and only still sold in the UK, and most triumph don't sell the rebadged Mobil coolant. That's what I came to the conclusion after much research

I got Triumph coolant at the dealer here in Las Vegas and assumed every dealer had it. The label reads: TRIUMPH
GENUINE
parts and accessories

HD4X HYBIRD OAT
COOLANT
At the bottom left of the label it shows a picture of a faucet with an X covering it, directly underneath that
it says 50:50. I assume that means not to add water. On the back of the 1 liter jug it comes in is a safety
label written in eight languages but no english warning not to drink the stuff and what to do if you ignore
the warning.

When I installed a new water pump on my 2011 R3T I mixed 50/50 Oat Coolant and demineralised water ,however when I refilled the system I could not get the system to bleed the air through the air bleed near the thermostat ,I just filled the recovery bottle to completely full and went for a ride when I got home the bottle was empty after the bike cooled down, I topped it up all good since

Ken as I read the label I think it means not to add any water to the coolant that Triumph sells, am I wrong?

Ken as I read the label I think it means not to add any water to the coolant that Triumph sells, am I wrong?

Normally if it is the complete coolant it says 100% ,I wonder if the no tap water logo means use demineralised water only ,I used Nulon OAT coolant(red) and it is a 50/50 mix procedure and the coolant is very thick in its undiluted state,

You might be right about no tap water, I never thought of that. I will call the Triumph dealer tuesday and ask about it.

@LAS VEGAS DAVE if your question is about the coolant they sell, then yes, the 50:50 means it is pre-mixed at that ratio. I'm not sure what all the other discussion is . . . except, you may use others, though I would want to hear from the folks who've actually been inside their engines, and know what metals are there, that drives the requirements for the coolant that must run through the passages and the radiator.

There are machines, where the manufacturer suggests alternate ratios of mixtures depending on the climate. I have not seen that in the Triumph manual.

FWIW, the antifreeze I purchase for our BMW and VW (cars) also comes pre-mixed 50:50, so that one may simply poor it directly into a (cold!) radiator.

And in your case (mine too) buying the HD4X from the dealer gives me some confidence that Triumph stands behind it, and, I don't have to worry about mixing it.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe for clearing that up for me. I thought it was radiator ready when I bought it.

Back