Coolant Change Question??

The Nulon OAT coolant Concentrate(to be mixed 33%/50%) I use is good for 350000ks or 6years ,not that I would use it that long, meets all the specs and best of all it is an Aussie product:inlove

If you aren't sure if the anti freeze is premix or pure, purchase an Antifreeze Hydrometer. Very cheap at any auto store. Premix will usually read -37C or -34F.

skills-coolant-hydrometer-4.jpg

Seems too difficult and I thought so too but when I started to think about it it became clearer. As long as you don´t use red or orange antifreeze you should be fine. Blue, green and in between can be mixed so the system does not even need to be flushed. I don´t believe one even sells antifreeze made only for motorcycles here in Finland so I picked up a can on green antifreeze, a can of battery water (that is what we call distilled water over here) and made a 50/50 mixture. Done!

The coolant that came out of the coolant system was also green so I should be safe.

Whenever I get around to it, I am gonna switch to Evan's waterless coolant. It does not expand when hot, so it does not burp out, I will therefore be able to remove the recovery bottle. And since it has no water, the engine cannot corrode. Well, the stuff is safe for aluminum anyway.

Waterless coolant is nice and expensive. Now after one coolant change the job itself is quite simple so it can be done every season if I feel like it. Regular coolant is cheap and easy.

With the waterless coolant everything is fine until one gets a leak of some soft or something like that. Of course even if you have to drain the system you can re-use the waterless coolant so I quess a leak is the only enemy here.

Evan´s waterless coolant costs 136€ (with the prep fluid) here so I have to think very carefully before buying. With a price like that it´s more like an investment...

True it is an investment, and one needs to be sure his hoses are in very nice shape, and yes, you can reuse the fluid if you can capture it and keep it clean while you do your work on the bike.

One of the benefits of that product is that it creates no pressure so it won't blow out hoses. Put new ones on for the last time :thumbsup:

One of the benefits of that product is that it creates no pressure so it won't blow out hoses. Put new ones on for the last time :thumbsup:
My bike has 6500 miles...2015 r3r....the dealer says the coolant need to be changed every four years....the manual says the coolant renew is at 20000 miles....I live in California....so no freezing here:)....
I brought all distilled water and coolant(pic attached)....I have following question:
1. What is the optimum time to change the coolant?
2. The coolant bought is the right one, I got it from autozone...they said it OAT?
3. Can I change it myself cos when I opened the cap...it started dropping...the cap was not even off...just loosens...plus I did not buy any washers for the screws in the pump at the bottom....? Should I wait cos the coolant started dripping meaning the level is ok....my overflow bottle is empty though???? Someone said that an inhibitor needed to protect engine????? Please advise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 5
My bike has 6500 miles...2015 r3r....the dealer says the coolant need to be changed every four years....the manual says the coolant renew is at 20000 miles....I live in California....so no freezing here:)....
I brought all distilled water and coolant(pic attached)....I have following question:
1. What is the optimum time to change the coolant?
2. The coolant bought is the right one, I got it from autozone...they said it OAT?
3. Can I change it myself cos when I opened the cap...it started dropping...the cap was not even off...just loosens...plus I did not buy any washers for the screws in the pump at the bottom....? Should I wait cos the coolant started dripping meaning the level is ok....my overflow bottle is empty though???? Someone said that an inhibitor needed to protect engine????? Please advise

will someone with knowledge on this answer this post as I might not be totally correct on all questions :unsure:

Back