Coolant Change Question??

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I want to change my coolant out this summer as part of my maintenance program, but I have one question. The vent screw near the thermostat that you are suppose to remove when refilling the engine with coolant..... Does that screw require a special sealing washer that I might need to order? I got a couple of the copper washers for the bleed screw on the water pump housing, but I don't see anything about a special sealing washer for the vent screw. A part number would be useful...it looks like it's a T3550403 if I'm reading it correctly on the cylinder head microfiche. It doesn't look like it's anything special that needs to be replaced to prevent a leak.

Did mine over the winter, no problem with the bleeder bolt leaking, but the water pump drain bolt did, just a small drip And only when hot. Triump has an up graded bolt with a larger diameter head. It's not stainless like the original though. You still need the copper washer.

Take the lower hose off the water pump and use a turkey baster to get as much of the fluid out of the water pump as you can.

I also flushed it out twice with distilled water and used engine ice for the coolant.

I bought a couple extra of the new bolts because they were cheap, if you want one I'll send it to you.

Should the coolant be 100% antifreeze, or should it be mixed with water.. if so what % ?

Should the coolant be 100% antifreeze, or should it be mixed with water.. if so what % ?

Depends on the coolant you use, some say don't mix, some are pre mixed, and some are just anti freeze that need to have water added in, usually 50/50 on those type.

I'm going to be using Maxima Coolanol. Very good reviews with both anti foaming properties and anti corrosion protection. Not totally out of line on the price and available at one of the local dealers. I don't believe Triumph itself uses any of the more extreme product out there, so I going with a quality product at a resonable price. I'm not pushing a product here...just saying there in no need to go to extremes on coolant.

Description:

Coolanol by Maxima is a ready-to-use 50/50 blend of premium-quality antifreeze and de-ionized water, providing optimum rust and corrosion protection. Coolanol is great for use on all aluminum and magnesium motorcycle and ATV liquid-cooled engines. It contains anti-foam agents to reduce water pump cavitations and increase cooling capacity. Coolanol protects your engine against freeze-up when winter weather gets down to -34 degrees. Maxima Coolanol also raises your cooling system's boiling point to 265 degrees with a 15 lb. radiator cap.

Back