Which begs the question with the proper amount of fuel (a good tune/AFR) does any timing really need to be taken out? If I was having detonation now I would have 3 dead cylinders instead of just one, which I still maintain was damaged prior to the PCV and tune that's on the bike now. Boost is good/Turbo Connection has done plenty of these kits with just remapping fuel.

In addition to the safeguard features on the Vampire that you mention, which would be nice to have even with a good tune in case of bad gas or something going wrong in the fuel system, it also has a boost input to retard timing in a predetermined fashion to augment a good fuel map but it doesn't look like it can account for high boost at lower rpm's that can be present with the turbo I have. That might not take enough timing out sometimes, or too much at the top end depending on how it's adjusted. There's no software, just some dip switches and pots. Then again, I'm probably just talking out of my a$$. Hoping Nev or Warp can enlighten me.
Ok Nev has much more experience here then myself especially since I have never experienced a turbo. I agree with the tuning to include timing. I do not know much about these ignition modules but I can picture something to delay the timing per boost signal like the map sensor can be used to collect the boost signal and fed to the 5 volt pick up on a PCV. I think in the old days power commander used a multiport hub with sensor to accomplish a lot of this stuff with turbos. I think since the turbo can spool up at any given rpm it is much more important to be able to make these changes per boost instead of thinking rpm. Now your right about the vampire unit having the ability to alter timing per pound of boost. This definitely might work since it is boost related not rpm related. Price wise I do not know but would defer to Nev since this is his business and he would know more about cost. Oh and you could detonate in one or more cylinders its like hitting the tops of the pistons with a 36 oz. Ball Peen Hammer. and even though you might have detonated in more then one cylinder one can be worse then the other. I also ran the OEM pistons for quite some time and mileage. The first set did not last but 28,000 miles before I ate them up. The second set were still great when I pulled them out. Of course I had worked on the timing and fueling to accomplish that. Dyno with a good sniffer is worth the investment.
Can I ask were you running premium fuel in her or a lower octane?
Also have you been adjusting the spool up rate of the turbo (changing the shims)?

Turbo has boost not related to throttle position,hence the need for boost sensitive mapping. When you pull it apart you will find whats wrong.

I repeat," If you are running 10psi with the stock engine and continue to do so, you need to find a proper tuner and get the ign mapping boost sensitive as well.." or I guess you can leave it how it is and blow the head gasket again and bugger the rings again. The cost of a Vampire unit will be more than an ign module.
Ok...Ok... I hear ya. I respect your experince and appreciate your advice. Like I said, if I add nothing else I will add ignition mapping. I just wish the Dynojet ignition module included a knock sensor. I love the safeguard of the closed loop feedback. Industrial instrumentation and controls is my trade. I pretty much live and breathe this kind of stuff all day, just on electric motors, valve actuators and analytical processes, not internal combustion engines. The Vampire would be double the cost of the Dynojet ignition module but I would probably go with it anyway if I don’t need boost sensitive mapping that’s also respective to rpm. So please allow me to ask my question one more time with a related example as I’m not really hearing a definitive answer.

My stage IV Yamaha Warrior has Wiseco 10.5:1 pistons AND a static or fixed timing advance of 2.5 degrees (not my build, I bought it this way). The timing advance provides some extra power on the top end but if it gets too much throttle under 3000 rpm in gears 3 through 5 it detonates to the point of audible pinging so I’m very careful not to do that. I considered removing the timing advance to eliminate the possibility of any detonation there but then I’d lose the benefit past 3000 rpm. I could install and program a Dynojet ignition module to pull the timing back to stock below 3000 rpm and have it advance from there as the rpm’s increased and everything would be good. Instead, in my quest for more low-end torque I bought a turbocharged Rocket… so let’s apply this thinking there as it seems to me we're looking at the same issue.

When the turbo goes to 10 psi boost at only 2500 rpm isn’t the likelihood of detonation greater there than 10 psi at 6500 rpm? Especially in a higher gear? Just like on my Warrior it seems that I would want to map in a retard of, for example, say 10 degrees at 10 psi at 2500 rpm but as the rpm’s increased reintroduce timing back in up to, for example, only 5 degrees retard at 6500 rpm as any more than that may not be needed there and just be robbing power. The boost stays at 10 psi from 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm but timing is adjusted as needed throughout the range and could even vary within the rpm range if needed (not linear). Isn’t this better, or even a necessity compared to just retarding, for example, 1 degree of timing per psi no matter where the engine is in the rpm band and what % of engine load it may be under? Since that’s the only thing the Vampire can do it would make the Dynojet my only option. Problem solved. If my thinking is incorrect here and I just need to make it “boost sensitive” regardless of where I am in the power band I can still opt for the Vampire and have the extra protection of a knock sensor. I can let my tuner work his magic on either.

Ok Now your right about the vampire unit having the ability to alter timing per pound of boost. This definitely might work since it is boost related not rpm related.
Works great for a supercharger as boost only increases as rpm increases but with a variable vane turbo the boost can be completely independent of rpm which I’m thinking would require rpm to be included in the ignition mapping, hence my question above.

Can I ask were you running premium fuel in her or a lower octane? Also have you been adjusting the spool up rate of the turbo (changing the shims)?
Premium fuel only! I at least know that much about detonation.

The newer Aerochargers have an adjustment for spool rate. Mine only has a spring for controlling at what pressure the vanes open and close. It’s currently a 9 psi spring which is what my max boost is probably closer to than 10 psi. It’s hard to tell on the cheap boost gauge I’ve got which is also getting replaced. This turbo is very touchy. If there's any engine load at all it will instantly "spool" or go to max psi with even a moderate throttle increase, doesn't need to be 100% throttle if I'm lower down in the rpm range.

In a previous discussion I told you I was not interested in a boost controller. I have changed my mind. My current plan is to install a 3 psi spring and add a manual boost controller that will be switched with a solenoid valve. I will be able to change my max boost instantly from 3 psi to whatever I adjust the knob on the manual controller to make. I’m thinking 10 psi but now since I’ll be adding ignition mapping maybe I’ll play around with it and see if I can do 12 psi safely.

I did actually do some testing with the spring and found that the turbo's natural minimum boost is 3 psi. Putting in a lower rating spring would not lower boost. It also can't help but make about 7 psi of boost at 6500 rpm. It's not possible to just limit it to 3 psi across the board, just at the lower end.

I suppose I could also get an electronic boost controller that would limit and ramp the boost up with rpm to mimic the characteristics of the TTS blower you’ve got. I’m really after that low end grunt though so I’ll battle how to best tune for that.

Last edited:
I think since the turbo can spool up at any given rpm it is much more important to be able to make these changes per boost instead of thinking rpm.
I guess my basic question is this: isn't detonation more likely at lower rpms than at higher rpms making the ability to dial in different levels of retard for the same boost at different rpms a necessary thing?

Let's say I'm on the interstate in 5th gear at 2500 rpm then give it 50% throttle producing 7 psi of boost. I could see where this may cause some detonation without retarded timing whereas the same 7 psi of boost at 6000rpm would be no problem with a rich AFR and stock timing. Why would I want to apply the same amount of retard in both instances if retarding timing reduces power?

Last edited:
I guess my basic question is this: isn't detonation more likely at lower rpms than at higher rpms making the ability to dial in different levels of retard for the same boost at different rpms a necessary thing?
If you have boost sensitive mapping you will be able to dial in different levels of retard for same boost at different rpm. Your Warrior is not a good comparison, not relevent really. Your R3 will want to deto at peak torque rpm and peak boost. With stock cams timed stock its always a compromise. I have had limited experience with the vampire unit, but have seen 3 or four. First one being Ruzzels, which didn't work properly anyway. Turbo mapping is quite different to supercharger mapping. Pull it apart and have a look, see whats wrong.

Brent I am no expert on turbo's heck I am not even a expert on Supercharged motors but considering a turbo spools up on demand and is not rpm dependent I can definitely see where a way to control ignition retard verses boost would be good. I am definitely curious about this ignition module that is boost controlled if for nothing else but to learn more. The vampire unit could do some of this provided the retard rate is the same no matter what rpm. What I am saying is as long as the retard per lb. of boost is stable at any rpm you might get away with the vampire unit. Of course the module Nev is talking about might be easier to program and probably has more finite control then the vampire unit. On the vampire unit besides the knock sensing retard you can set it for boost retard start pressure and rate per pressure increase.
Boost Retard Start:
FI version:
The Start knob sets at what boost pressure the boost retard begins. Fully CCW, the boost retard starts at zero
psi. Fully CW, and boost retard starts at 10 psi.
NA version: The Start point is shifted into the vacuum region by 5 psi (ten inches). Fully CCW, the unit will start retarding as
the vacuum drops below ten inches. zero psi.

Vacuum Advance/Boost Retard Rate:
FI version:
The boost retard rate is adjustable, from zero (fully CCW), to two degrees per psi (fully CW).
For NA version, the rate is adjustable from 0 to 1° per inch of vacuum.o the LED will light if one of the J&S control wires is
not connected to a coil signal.

All this is fine but again I have to say if the vampire unit was better then a ignition module Nev is talking about I got to think he would be preaching about it instead. So considering the turbo spools up at will plus I think it gradually spools up as the rpm is increased there is a difference between gradual spool up and when you smack her. So timing is definitely a important factor.
In looking at the Power commander site I see they do have a ignition module for the PCV that can be used to also run boost retard timing. This might be what Nev is referring to. This along with the 5 volt pick up for boost fueling might work well for your application.

If you have boost sensitive mapping you will be able to dial in different levels of retard for same boost at different rpm. Your Warrior is not a good comparison, not relevent really. Your R3 will want to deto at peak torque rpm and peak boost. With stock cams timed stock its always a compromise. I have had limited experience with the vampire unit, but have seen 3 or four. First one being Ruzzels, which didn't work properly anyway. Turbo mapping is quite different to supercharger mapping. Pull it apart and have a look, see whats wrong.
Very good. Thank you sir. If I'm understanding you correctly that confirms the basic idea of what I've been trying to communicate, even if my Warrior may not have been a good comparison. I'll have this same discussion with the tuner I'm planning on using too but it looks like I'll be going with the ignition module for the PCV. According to the definition you give above, the Vampire unit really does not have the capability of boost sensitive mapping as it does not look at rpm. The ability to have one retard value for max boost at the peak torque rpm and a different retard value at peak horsepower rpm if need be is ultimately more important to me than having the knock sensor.

Yes, I'm looking forward to getting it apart. It will just take awhile as I always seem to be short on time with too many things to do. If I can get it all back together and tuned before the end of this summer I'll consider that a success.

The vampire unit could do some of this provided the retard rate is the same no matter what rpm. What I am saying is as long as the retard per lb. of boost is stable at any rpm you might get away with the vampire unit.
That's exactly why I'm ruling it out as that's all it can do. I do like the ability to adjust the start pressure and rate per pressure increase but in my opinion that's just not enough for my application.

In looking at the Power commander site I see they do have a ignition module for the PCV that can be used to also run boost retard timing. This might be what Nev is referring to. This along with the 5 volt pick up for boost fueling might work well for your application.
Yes, that's the one I mentioned at the beginning of this discussion so am assuming is the one Nev is also referring to. It really is the perfect way to do it if already running a PCV like I am.

Basically it plugs into and communicates with the PCV via the CAN bus network cable. It can then see the 5 volt boost pick up that’s already wired into the PCV for the fuel mapping and use it for the ignition mapping as well. When I open up my PCV software now I can see the selection for ignition table in the left column menu tree but it's not selectable (or if it is it’s all greyed out once you open it… can’t remember which). With the ignition module added this will become active and ready for modification. So it’s a nice clean interface for power commander users and will be half the price of the Vampire, unfortunately without the feedback of the knock sensor though.

On another note, I checked my compression gauge with a quality NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) certified pressure calibrator at work yesterday and it was surprisingly accurate. Only read low by 1.5 psi. That puts my compression figures at 166.5, 191.5 and 194.5 for cylinders 1, 2 and 3 respectively. Will be interesting to see what 2 and 3 look like when I get it apart. If compression should really be 210 psi then I’m low everywhere and should probably just do all 3 cylinders. Maybe I’ll go with the JE pistons after all if they can make me one with a lower ratio than what’s on their site. Their pricing looked very reasonable to me.

To me if you have a tuner already HE should be telling you the proper way to tune the bike, not us here. Maybe give him a call. The PC-V ign module will work well as described. JE do 9:1 pistons but will make anything if you pay them. You do not need more comp at all if you are planning using stock cams. As described in other posts the Rocket is a low compression engine(8.7) but has HIGH cranking pressure. As to the live knock sensor thing,a) if it is tuned right you won't need one and b) I have never seen a non OEM one work as they should. I have to qualify that remark as only what I have found,and I am only one small guy :). Maybe there is some good ones about.

Agreed about my tuner but I wanted your guy's opinion too. Confirmation between resources is always a good thing. I sent him an email. We'll talk on the phone or in person eventually. I may take the bike into him before I take it apart to throw it on the dyno just to get some base numbers of what it's currently doing.

I'm thinking if JE makes me custom pistons that'll push the price too high. If a 9:1 is a standard for them and the price is the same as the ones on their site now would you consider that a reasonable ratio for my application even though I don't need to go any higher?

Agreed about my tuner but I wanted your guy's opinion too. Confirmation between resources is always a good thing. I sent him an email. We'll talk on the phone or in person eventually. I may take the bike into him before I take it apart to throw it on the dyno just to get some base numbers of what it's currently doing.

I'm thinking if JE makes me custom pistons that'll push the price too high. If a 9:1 is a standard for them and the price is the same as the ones on their site now would you consider that a reasonable ratio for my application even though I don't need to go any higher?
I do not remember the price of the 9:1 pistons I got from J&E at the time they made two sets for a couple of us supercharged guys. we had them coated in the hopes of having a extra protective surface.

2009_1222backup20003.JPG
2009_1222backup20005.JPG

if my memory is correct we had these made with a thicker ring land on top for forced air motors. I the others I posted above were 8:1 the first set for Darrel's Turbo Rocket. If the new set I put in my engine do not survive I will try ordering a set of there 10.5:1 just like these.

Back