How to Check for Exhaust Leaks

buddazero

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2018
Hey everyone,

I just got new headers and twin muffler system installed. Currently the headers are running so hot my pants are smoking. Now I know I need a new map, I'm currently waiting for one. But for my peace of mind, I also want to check for exhaust leaks at the headers. Now the guys from Triumph installed them, even got new gaskets and everything, but as I wait for the new Tune, I want to just cover my basis.

Just like the soap and water method with check for a leak on a tire, can the same method be applied to the headers? I tried the smoke and flame method, but I can never tell.

yes, you can use soapy water and a vacuum cleaner in blower mode thru the exhaust.

What pipes are they? mild steel, stainless? also check the 12mm nuts after heat cycling when new gaskets are installed mine generally loosen a bit, then re snug and normally good after that.

What pipes are they? mild steel, stainless? also check the 12mm nuts after heat cycling when new gaskets are installed mine generally loosen a bit, then re snug and normally good after that.

They're the exhaust headers from Paul Viking Exhaust, Chrome Plated. My fear is stripping the nuts, since I didn't install these myself. I have a torque wrench-but I was told to just use a spanner to just snug them in if they are in fact a bit loose.

Last edited:
Kevin do you remember the torque setting on the header? 🤔

Back