Common accessories

Bigjaype

I'll eat Sonny's sandwich...
Ride
R1200GS
I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I've been trying to find it and can't so here goes...

What accessories, if any, are common amongst the different models?
As an example, does the classic seat fit on a touring and vice versa?

I'm particularly interested in seat options. My wife and I just can't semi to find that comfort zone. I'm fortunate in that I've picked up a second seat really cheap so have been able to play around with inserting different foam etc...and even air hawks aren't doing it for us.
Most of the international seat manufacturers only list the touring or solo options.

Help!

It is all covered here:

For Sale - Seats and Other Stuff

There was also the Lowrider Gel Seat A9701151 but you do not see them very often and I suppose many would not be identified as such to differentiate them from stock R3 seats especially if not purchased by their current or subsequent owners.

If you have a stock 05 R3 the one you have is lower and more forward than the Roadster versions including the Rocket X version above. You may find the Classic dual pictured is lower than the stock 05 R3 two piece seat though somebody else here may know and chime in. @warp9.9 , @idk or @scot in exile may know. The Classic dual with the plugged square hole for rider's backrest are around here in Oz @Tonester in Sydney may even have one spare and the backrests do come up occasionally, I have had two and just found another a couple of weeks ago. ;)

The Classic DUAL with (A9708164) and without (A9708059) the square hole for rider's backrest. The backrest version is a comfort Dual Classic Touring Seat: DUAL SEAT, L/HAUL TOURING KIT : A9708164 with a more comfortable perch for both rider and pillion - some say the best OEM R3 STD , Classic and Roadster seat of all but does NOT fit the Touring R3 despite the seat name.

Page 15 of Accessories 2007

The ROCKET III, CLASSIC & ROADSTER, Touring Rider, Gel A9701142 riders seat and Touring Pillion Gel A9701143 in the photo below are also NOT for the later released 2008 on R3 TOURING model and many have said they are not that comfortable though better than stock R3 seats for some.

2007 Accessories
accessories-2007-000015.jpg

2009 Accessories
2009 Triumph Rocket III ACCESSORIES - SEATS Parts - Best OEM ACCESSORIES - SEATS Parts Diagram for 2009 Rocket III Motorcycles

I'm particularly interested in seat options. My wife and I just can't semi to find that comfort zone. I'm fortunate in that I've picked up a second seat really cheap so have been able to play around with inserting different foam etc...and even air hawks aren't doing it for us.
Quite simply - Either spend a lot of time building it to suit you - or find a custom upholsterer - I had the same issue - I went for option 1.

The key element for comfort is more the shape than the actual materials I think. I have done my seat twice and teh second time did some more radical reshaping so I don't slip forward at all. Keeps me connected to the rider backrest too. Have 37mm of gel in the rider saddle and 18mm in the passenger section - I have a 1-pce "Classic" pan.

One option I would mention is 3D mesh. There are complete covers which Mr @Ishrub can find on ebay better than I can and also pads made from a softer version of mesh. I have a full cover over which ensures airflow - so never wet and never hot (this matters as Gel can get VERY hot). I have tried Airhawks and imo they are no use on any saddle that has some padding. Fine on one of those sprung saddle pans

The only place I know of with the soft 3D mesh pads is https://www.danmedicasouth.co.uk/product/treat-lite2-motorcycle-comfort-seating/ - maybe our Google-foo-manchoo-master can find another source as their shipping costs are high. I use a seat cushion made of this material and can sit for HOURS with no pressure points at all. Made originally for wheelchair bound users - they sell 1000's to truckers (and computer geeks). Treat-Lite Wheelchair Cushion – Dan Medica South Ltd

Back