Coil Over Plug mod (COP) for standard coil removal

It's probably simply running into a current limit situation.
When discussing this off-line with @Joesmoe
although however there is the factor that the drive transistors could be suffering some thermal conductance limitation, as they will certainly run hotter as the frequency increases (because there is less 'relief' time before the next cycle, so heat will accumulate more - so could be that ...)

I have my suspicions, however, I'm going to replace the coils anyways for good measure when I strip out the Triumph equipment.

Incidentally, it'll give me a chance to open the ECU and actually take a look at that circuit and figure out what IC (ICs) is/are responsible for coil charging. If this is a single MOSFET for all three cylinders, as I highly suspect it is, then it makes sort of sense it is struggling to keep up at high frequency, during high temperature and at high current load. At 8500 RPM, that single MOSFET will be responsible for 12,750 charging events per minute, 212/second, equating roughly to a 20% duty cycle, not a problem for a good 105c chip like you'd find on a top tier motherboard, very possibly a problem for an 80c/85c rated chip, depending on which they used.

Should be fine, but should and are, often don't play nicely as you well know.

Can't see the pic. Oh nvmd, its a render error in Chrome, in your sig.

If you know it's not, that's good news at least.

I have been think about doing this coil modification...

Have any members had any issues since doing the mod.

So what is the consensus? I read thru the entire thread and am kind of confused now. Are Yamaha YZF R1 coils still the go to coils or not? Did anyone ever try the 1050 coils? Does someone make and sell a harness for ease of installation?

FYI,
2002 Yamaha yzf r1 coil specs. Must have Mitsubishi #F6T558 embossed on the coil opposite of the modular connector.
18D01628-F749-422C-BA4B-64808A013877.jpeg
The OEM part will read 1.4 ohms or higher but the aftermarket ones will fall within the spec but at the low end of the scale!

Back