Clutch switch

Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
My riding buddy has an 05 Rocket with less than 10,000 miles. Great cycle. In the last few rides the bike has had a issue starting. Turn the key on and no power. My buddy has found that by moving the clutch switch wires the power comes on, and the bike will start normally and run. My question is does this make sense to those Captains in the know? New switch or another issue. I appreciate the help.

he is probably moving the wires to the ignition . sometimes u can move the bars and get power but it can quit at anytime.
does it have the eastern beaver headlight kit or a relay bypass to take the headlight current out of the ign switch?
he should search for the threads eastern beaver or ign switch.
on the clutch switch there is no current flow till u pull in the clutch.

By moving the clutch switch wires is probably moving the wiring loom enough so the connection in the loom is complete.
Has this bike had the eastern Beaver headlight rely mod done? this is a number one mod for the older models as the load on the ign switch is too much - if this is the case you will find the white wire from the ign switch will be burnt looking and the solder joint in the ign switch would have failed.
Three fixes come to mind:
  1. pull the ing switch out (Not easy - but its covered on the forum somewhere) I took the top triple clamp off to do mine but it can be done in situ. Find the white wire and repair.
  2. Replace Ign Switch. this will mean you have a different ign key to your tank and side cover and is costly.
  3. Purchase a key-less ign module from @DEcosse (No need to pull out your ign switch. DEcosse can also include the headlight wiring upgrade in this module (I have one of these and they are fantastic)
ALWAYS a good idea to identify the issue first prior to spending $.
Also apply dielectric grease to your clutch switch as it also can be effected by water.

By moving the clutch switch wires is probably moving the wiring loom enough so the connection in the loom is complete.
Has this bike had the eastern Beaver headlight rely mod done? this is a number one mod for the older models as the load on the ign switch is too much - if this is the case you will find the white wire from the ign switch will be burnt looking and the solder joint in the ign switch would have failed.
Three fixes come to mind:
  1. pull the ing switch out (Not easy - but its covered on the forum somewhere) I took the top triple clamp off to do mine but it can be done in situ. Find the white wire and repair.
  2. Replace Ign Switch. this will mean you have a different ign key to your tank and side cover and is costly.
  3. Purchase a key-less ign module from @DEcosse (No need to pull out your ign switch. DEcosse can also include the headlight wiring upgrade in this module (I have one of these and they are fantastic)
ALWAYS a good idea to identify the issue first prior to spending $.
Also apply dielectric grease to your clutch switch as it also can be effected by water.
Thanks I'm sure he will follow your leads. The "eastern Beaver headlight rely mod ". I've never heard of this before today!

As the other guys said, the clutch switch itself cannot interlock the main power ONLY the starter operation.
Almost certainly the switch itself on that generation.

1. ....
  3. ....

Actually you can replace and NOT require to have different key - you can split the key-lock part from the switch part (they are connected together by similar shear screws that hold the entire switch assembly to the triple)
Then you mate you original key-lock to the new switch
That also means you can even purchase a used switch that has missing key - those often show up on Ebay

A lot of the time the switch is repairable - the solder melts holding one of the wires to the switch-plate - as long as it hasn't broken (or burned) the pad then it just requires re-soldering.

As the other guys said, the clutch switch itself cannot interlock the main power ONLY the starter operation.
Almost certainly the switch itself on that generation.

Actually you can replace and NOT require to have different key - you can split the key-lock part from the switch part (they are connected together by similar shear screws that hold the entire switch assembly to the triple)
Then you mate you original key-lock to the new switch
That also means you can even purchase a used switch that has missing key - those often show up on Ebay

A lot of the time the switch is repairable - the solder melts holding one of the wires to the switch-plate - as long as it hasn't broken (or burned) the pad then it just requires re-soldering.
Yes you are correct indeed. I was being fairly general not knowing skill levels etc......

Yes you are correct indeed. I was being fairly general not knowing skill levels etc......
Thanks for being polite. I've , had DEcosse help me on other electrical issues with my Rocket. I tend to speak elementary edd. You guys loose me on about the 2nd sentence. Dumbing it down is definitely required....

Back