Clutch suddenly out of adjustment

Hiperformance

Enjoy the Ride
Ride
2012 R3T
New to the group-really appreciate the experienced tech input of the rider group. Long time rider and repair my own type of owner-Just picked up a major crash 2012 R3T with abs with 450 miles. (Prev owner pulled a wheelie at 100 and decided he wanted to spend a few weeks in the hospital) complete tear down of everything except engine. Clutch operated perfect for first two rides then suddenly the 2mm at the lever disappeared and clutch slips with any amount of roll on. Shortened both ends of the cable to zero and still can’t get 2mm at the lever. Do I need a new clutch pack because it set for so long or possibly damage from the accident? Any suggestions on brand. No performance mods-factory.
8E5BDDE8-07F9-4AA6-8F04-1178B798569C.jpeg
580ECA0D-2F9E-47D3-AA8C-B908A2E0817C.jpeg
31C6794F-C8B6-4F05-A3B8-C3B62B47F21A.jpeg

I call the clutch master @warp9.9 - but that sounds to me as if the clutch lifter mech has worn out. This is really common if the clutch was badly adjusted to start with. The adjustment is very precise thing on the R3.

I call the clutch master @warp9.9 - but that sounds to me as if the clutch lifter mech has worn out. This is really common if the clutch was badly adjusted to start with. The adjustment is very precise thing on the R3.
Yes I would speculate the lifter shaft is burnt and coming apart. Soon it will snap.

Yes I would speculate the lifter shaft is burnt and coming apart. Soon it will snap.
Thanks for the info. clutch pull feels like gravel for bearings at the lifter shaft and a definite grinding or scraping noise coming from the front of the clutch cover on the engine when moving the clutch lever. With only 400 miles is it possible that it is just the lifter shaft and associated components need replaced and the actual clutch plates are fine? Or should I just replace everything while it is apart? With only 400 miles on it everything was still factory setup but I'll know more when I open it up. I'll take a look at some previous posts to see if there are a list of any upgrades to that area of the clutch system.

Thanks for the info. clutch pull feels like gravel for bearings at the lifter shaft and a definite grinding or scraping noise coming from the front of the clutch cover on the engine when moving the clutch lever. With only 400 miles is it possible that it is just the lifter shaft and associated components need replaced and the actual clutch plates are fine? Or should I just replace everything while it is apart? With only 400 miles on it everything was still factory setup but I'll know more when I open it up. I'll take a look at some previous posts to see if there are a list of any upgrades to that area of the clutch system.
Plates are probably fine, but while you are in there I'd upgrade to stronger springs.

With only 400 miles is it possible that it is just the lifter shaft and associated components need replaced and the actual clutch plates are fine? Or should I just replace everything while it is apart? With only 400 miles on it everything was still factory setup but I'll know more when I open it up. I'll take a look at some previous posts to see if there are a list of any upgrades to that area of the clutch system.
You'll find a fair few walk through of the Clutch where @warp9.9 (the afore-mentioned clutch-master) has posted masses of photos showing wear and the difference twixt old and upgraded parts. I had to open my clutch to get to the detent spring - the plates were fine - BUT if after 400 miles the lifter shaft is crapped out then I'd suggest it was never set up correctly and I would prepare for the worst.

But hope for the best. i.e. Dont buy parts until you have looked in there. Take the front off and post any photos you take on here - There are loads of folk with the experience to say - REPLACE or LEAVE as is.

If it were me - I'd budget to replace everything though. Others will chime in - but I'd seriously consider the Barnett Clutch kit.
I did when I had to replace my detent spring, but the plates were like new and could not find a kit in Europe.
If the Clutch basket is damaged (unlikely in your case I think) - you may wish to look at the reinforced versions.

Back