Clutch Rattle Noise Question

I always find your posts interesting Warp, these being no exception and whilst you are in the mood :) I would like to ask a question or two.

In this image it clearly shows the two gears that make up the backlash eliminator.

I guess the principle of this is to align the teeth on assembly and in so doing compress the springs between the two free moving parts - thus no backlash, am I there so far?

The thing I dislike the most about the Rocket is the infernal whine emanating from the front of the engine. To me it sounds like a pair of gears that are too tight in mesh (I bet you know where I'm going now) and I just wonder if it is the design of the backlash eliminator that's causing this whine. Those springs look pretty hefty and will be placing a fairly high contact load on the crank gear and so mimicking too tight a mesh, what do you think?

You could be right there although you can compress them for install with a screw driver in the arrowed alignment hole in the basket. i am working on a few more pictures for R3Rtubo as it looks like soem washers were mising on his 2010 Roadster from the factory. I will add the alignment picture to it although it will not be in the engine. I sold my extra crank to a fellow captian in need along with my extra head, cams and liners. he now is sporting a Carpenter Stage one beast brought back from the dead ofter the tensioner failed and released the timing between the crank and cams. Even broke a couple valves off besideds bending the rest. the pistons and head did not like it when the valves stood up but was able to leave a nasty impression on the head and pistons. since they were of harder material :( Anyway his is 240 a horse power bad arse monster now.

Are you able to part the two gears or are they riveted? Would be interesting to replace stock springs with something a bit lighter just to see if the whine reduces.

Warp .. just had a look on the MTC website. Says they require your stock clutch basket to re-use the core.That right do you know ? Mean a lot of down time for me unless i could score a spare clutch basket to send them. Again thanks for your advice.

Warp .. just had a look on the MTC website. Says they require your stock clutch basket to re-use the core.That right do you know ? Mean a lot of down time for me unless i could score a spare clutch basket to send them. Again thanks for your advice.
yes they use the backlash eliminater off your basket to do the install. Anyone who has a 04-05 basket will want to get a hold of a 06 or newer one bacause the back lash eliminator is .030" thicker on the newer style up to and including the 2011 models which I measure today. Incidently I have verified the the larger lifter piece I use is in all 2010 roadsters and 2011 R3T models.Tom Cat when you take your 09 model apart I would love a picture of the lifter piece to verify if the change happened in 09 or not. everyone else who needs to order one eithe ruse the part numbe I supplied or buy one for a 2010 rocket at least to insure you are not getting the smaller designed head on your lifter piece. The larger head will cut down on the lifter piece vibration. Tom When I worked with Kevin at MTC on the design of the billet basket he found the rivets on the some new backets and I meean ordered ne were not completley squeezed. they spun when he went to drill them out. Unless you pounding the basket with High Horse power You should consider having the rivets checked and reseated. this could be wher some of the vibration comes from. I would hate to see you spend a bucket load of money if only your rivets need to be crimped down a wee bit more. Not trying to steer you away from buying one.
Now about the back lash eliminator I do suppose it could be giving you some whining sound but if it was loose the ponding on the teeth of both gears will be hard on them and in my opinion worse on your bike then the whine. It could develp a good rattle as the back lash would be present. The springs on the back lash eliminator are in different strengths so they take up shock progessively this is less impct to all moving part driven from the mani crank gear. Spur gears or for some reason people call them straight cut gears are not as strong when in mesh as helical gears which have more teeth contact spread out over the more teeth. depending on the angle of helix after 20 degrees excesive thrus start to build placing more stress on the thrust load in roller bearings. Inside every helical gear is a spur gear or straight cut gear this is where the relationship of real and normal Dimetral picth comes from. In metric gearing it is call modal pitch. dimetral pitch is a ration of number of teeth arounf the pitch circle per inch of pitch diameter. It the same for modal only metric measurements apply. the turue strenght =of th eger tooth is measured at the pitch circle. Pitch is a measuremnet from one coresponding poin on the pitch circle to the same coresponding poin on the next tooth on the pitch circumfurance. Sometime refered to the pitch line. very simular to measureing the pitch of a thread. both these items strongest poin is on th epitch diameter.
Time for Granpa to crash Later.

Thanks again ... not that i understand half that technical jargon , gives me some confidence that you know what your'e talking about though. My bikes actually an '07 plated model that i bought new in January '09. Will give some thought to your advice to check the studs. Toying with the idea of boosting my bikes performance down the track (a saying that means a bit later on in Australia). That's why i was considering the MTC clutch.

Thanks again ... not that i understand half that technical jargon , gives me some confidence that you know what your'e talking about though. My bikes actually an '07 plated model that i bought new in January '09. Will give some thought to your advice to check the studs. Toying with the idea of boosting my bikes performance down the track (a saying that means a bit later on in Australia). That's why i was considering the MTC clutch.

no problem I hear thru the grape vine Rick has his stage 2 beast on the prowl in Perth Watch out its addicting. I like thrashing mine so much I do not care if it breaks and I have to fix the next week link :D

Riding Ponters bike was my downfall , climbing back on mine it just feels sluggish now. Torques more addictive than crack cocaine hey :p i'd be more than happy with a set of Neville Lush's high comp pistons and hot cams.

Riding Ponters bike was my downfall , climbing back on mine it just feels sluggish now. Torques more addictive than crack cocaine hey :p i'd be more than happy with a set of Neville Lush's high comp pistons and hot cams.

Yes and then you will want more! and more! and more!
**** that sounds like me :eek:

Yes and then you will want more! and more! and more!
**** that sounds like me :eek:
Hey warp still looking for noise in my 07 model. When the basket starts to implode can it possibly be noisy like mine? Can't find no damage in gear box so guessing it has to be the clutch basket some how......

Back