Clutch Rattle Noise Question

Motor is quiet disengaged from box via no clutch. Spun oil pump with a drill result quiet, same with water pump. Had camera in gear box on weekend all looked good. Spin input shaft via hand and drill..... no noise. Replace the clutch back on and noise comes back.

Saw your post here on exploding clutch in turbo bikes and ya got me curious. Mine is standard other than air inlet and pipes.

Black motor mate, will attach link for the video sound file if ya haven't seen it elsewhere.

S.h.i.t thats not the clutch did you release the cam chain. As it sounds like a valve noise I'd quit starting it until you find out. Could also be major cam chain slop. Like from a broken cam chain guide tensioner side. Or the tensioner is at full extension. Or a valve hitting something. We won't go into posible rod noise. Id first measure the drop on the tensioner plunger and investigate whether is has ever been checked and the spacer added. Of course if its dropped to about 23 mm from the top you are out of travel and need to change the came chain, and most likely the guides. I would also be looking in the inspection port to see if the lower cam chain gear on the crank is loose or possibly the key way is worn. But quit running it until you figure it out. Simce you have been running her did she go thru the gears fine? And what exactly happened to the gear box and what was done to the gear box? If anything.

Was slowing about to go from 4th back to 3rd pulled clutch in voila noise started. I locked the wheel killed engine slid to a stop. We have front covers and sump off.....

removed clutch basket motor purrs with no noise. Put basket back on which reengages the input shaft and noise comes back. Cam chain tensioner sprocket including main crank are all fine.

Camera up into gear box all gears work and look fine. Read your thread here about internals of the clutch basket exploding and it got me wondering.

No idea on work done only owned it few months lady was original owner rode it around Australia a few times. Had new head gasket when we bought it had 57000 klms on it now has 83000.

At first I thought top of the piston broke off like the old Honda 4 used to do. I am an 80`s bike mechanic.

Clutch basket looks fine except a chip out of 2 of the large rear springs.

FB_IMG_1560255951990.jpg

Then I'd be looking inside the cylinders to make sure none of the valve disc broke off. You can see all the valves via scope or maybe from each side.

Bloke on FB said he knows the sound well. Says circlip drops off the gear shaft and dog teeth are not quite meshing, they are floating. Said his went at high speed and demolished his gearbox as he tried to stop through the gears.. Says I saved mine by locking the back wheel and sliding to a stop. Sound familiar to you at all. Will check stuff you said too.

Back