Chewed wire prevention airbox

pica

cheeky boy ぴか
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
I invited a friend that lives nearby to ride motorcycles and borrowed him my crf for this ride. In preparation I rode that bike the day before to test everything and found that blinkers, horn, brake light, wasn't working. Later on found thre chewed wire, then the burned fuse , the hole in the airbox, the nest and the culprit, A little mice that went riding with me before. I fixed wire, replaced fuse, removed the nest and the mice, then covered the hole to the airbox with duck tape and mesh.
Mothballs everywhere now and mouse repellent but the metal shed its not mice proof.
I didn't notice any impact in performance for the crf after adding that mesh.

What do you think about doing that in the rocket? Where will you do it?

And I think I'll covered all exposed wiring with plastic or something...

I still need to check and get to the airbox in the cbr..... oh mine..

And this is not the first time. Years ago an squirrel made a nest under the manifold of my f150 and chewed all the wiring to the knock sensor... took me a good day to remove all the parts needed to get there and replace it... if happen again, well, getting stranded in my cabin in the smokies won't be bad...

Attachments

• 20211008_154713.jpg
    20211008_154713.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20211009_103522.jpg
    20211009_103522.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211009_102236.jpg
    20211009_102236.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211008_151153.jpg
    20211008_151153.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
As we have moved from Miami to either Tucson or Las Vegas (that's still to be decided), I have to look into this as well. My in-laws in Tucson have a mouse problem...and that's where my R3T is now... though she's in a sealed trailer for the moment.
-MIG

I use lrish spring soap under the hood
They seem to like the positive wire going into the transmissioi out of six to ten wires going into the trans they get the positive which knocks out all the solenoids.
I try to cover all open wires with electric tape seems like they dont like the tape.
They like to sit on top of transmissions and chew they wires. Have found bad wires by working hands and felling for sharp ends of wires. Big job repairing.
A lady jeep owner liked the little mouses until the third time at my shop lol

I try to cover all open wires with electric tape seems like they dont like the tape.

Good call with the tape... the wire the mice ate, wasn't covered in tape as you can see in the pictures.... will do that to begin with in exposed cables

Thank
Mothballs don't work. Try dryer sheets. Get a box of 200 and put them everywhere on the bike. Classic car guys swear by them and they don't smell like crap, like mothballs.
Thank you I'll add that. Last time I used the mothballs and rags with ammonia to keep snakes out... it work out for the snakes but now I have mice around... maybe it's time to release cats in the area.. my neighbor cat it's more entertained with small snakes though

Thank

Thank you I'll add that. Last time I used the mothballs and rags with ammonia to keep snakes out... it work out for the snakes but now I have mice around... maybe it's time to release cats in the area.. my neighbor cat it's more entertained with small snakes though

Cats will get the job done, just be sure to get females because they are the hunters. Every male cat I've ever had is a couch potato.

Every fall them buggers try to get in the warm houses for the winter. Thats when I feed them chemical pellets. They are so stupid they must drag the stuff back to the nest to show everyone. Anyway usually when I see them they are really dehydrated so I sweep them up and toss them in the garbage.
Disclaimer only a couple of the wifey's cats were stupid enough to eat the pellets. The rest were pretty smart!!

Back