crj0007

.020 Over
Ride
Zzr1400
Hi all
I need to route a gps cable from the handlebars to the battery. I want to try to do it without lifting the tank. Has anyone been successful with this and if so how and where did you route the wire?
Just got a new to me Rocket 3R. Traded my ZZR 1400. Not had much of a chance to ride it yet as I’m in the uk and it’s been throwing it down the past few days! Just fitted a tail tidy and it looks miles better IMO.

Thanks
Clive

Hi all
I need to route a gps cable from the handlebars to the battery. I want to try to do it without lifting the tank. Has anyone been successful with this and if so how and where did you route the wire?
Just got a new to me Rocket 3R. Traded my ZZR 1400. Not had much of a chance to ride it yet as I’m in the uk and it’s been throwing it down the past few days! Just fitted a tail tidy and it looks miles better IMO.

Thanks
Clive
Hi Clive,

I used a long heavy duty zip tie to snake under the tank and then taped the wires to the zip tie and pulled on through. I probably removed the front bolt so I could just lift the tank a bit (when you say "lift," not sure if you meant to fully remove). I'd imagine it could be done without lifting the tank at all though with a little patience. The coils and evap canister are on the right side, so favor poking around for a clear path more on the left side near the middle line of the tank.

Thanks for the heads up👍 Is there anything under the tank that can melt the wire as in hot engine components? I’ve no idea what is under the tank.

Nothing beyond the obvious hot stuff below, but there are tons of other wires running up through there, so enough clearance for sure. You can see here all the components on the right side and see there's not much on the left. You can see the two wires for my running lights that I ran using the zip tie. They were resting between that rubber bumper and the tank. With the tank in place that held the wires in place. Now that I have the tank off for an air and fuel filter change I will go ahead and tape those wires better in place, but they were just fine where they were. As they come out the front of the tank you'll want to secure them with tape or zip ties to something up front or they will tend to fall down. There's not another "catch point" beyond that rubber bumper. If the GPS wires are not covered you may want to run a sheath over them, just for added protection. Hope this helps....

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back