Changing clutch springs

Torpedo

.040 Over
Is it necessary to completely remove radiator and water pump to change clutch springs only?

Is it necessary to completely remove radiator and water pump to change clutch springs only?
yes its the only way to get the clutch cover off. You can leave the wheel and fender on but cover the fender with a towel to protect it. If your just changing the sprongs I would do one at a time. If your inspecting clutch fibers loosen all slowly and evenly. Use proper torque settings in inch pounds or NM meters or you will Break the boltsa on the clutch springs when tightening. My self I switched to longer ones that would go completely thru the clutch hub.

Yes.. once you remove the radiator shroud, it's only 3 more bolts, although the bottom bolt is kind of a pain. You already have to drain the cooling system and oil. If you can drain these in clean containers, you can reuse them. The oil filter can stay on. I don't think you can get to the top bolts on the front engine cover with the radiator in place. If you can, it would be hard and still easier to remove the radiator. I just replaced my clutch plates/springs a few weeks ago.

Ok. No problem. One other question. Do I need any specific gaskets or seals to change out? Bike has 400 miles on it. Just trying to make a list before I tackle the job.
Thanks.

Ok. No problem. One other question. Do I need any specific gaskets or seals to change out? Bike has 400 miles on it. Just trying to make a list before I tackle the job.
Thanks.
Front clutch cover gasket will probaly need to be changed especially if it is the original. IAfter that depending on what type sealent you use I have got away with not having to change mine a few times. If it does not tear you in like flint but for the price of one I would order it anyway. What Brand springs are you going with?

Carpenter sent me his springs. Going to throw them in this weekend. Will probably upgrade to Grade 8 bolt if they are a concern.

Carpenter sent me his springs. Going to throw them in this weekend. Will probably upgrade to Grade 8 bolt if they are a concern.

I went stainless marine grade and longer so they went completly thru the inner clutch hub. the OEM one barley make the fillet radius.

Back