Chariot

.040 Over
Ride
2017 Rocket 3 R modified trike to take wheelchair
I am looking to upgrade the clutch on my 2016 model. Was there any factory upgrades ?

Not sure what you mean by upgrade but the 2016 had the latest Triumph upgrades already incorporated. Unless you need to replace parts, race your bike or downright abuse the clutch, I'd leave it alone.

If you want to replace the fibers and springs, I'll leave the suggestions to the fellows who have already done it.

Carpenter Racing sells heavy duty springs, the factory fibers and steels are actually pretty good

Last Triumph update I can think of on the clutch was around 2009. Of course there are aftermarket options, generally it's springs and fibers, Barnett do a kit of both which appear to be generally accepted as good, then MTC do fibers and springs where the fibers are excellent but the springs are apparently meh, they also do a billet basket which is a work of art but only beneficial in a huge torque bike, Carpenter Racing does what are to my knowledge the best springs, they also supply Hayabusa fibers and steels for the Rocket which from what i gather are good too.
Personally i run the MTC basket with MTC fibers, and the Carpenter Springs. Really recommend the Carpenter springs.

EBC do springs & fibers kit too i believe, but seemingly the springs are weak.
There was a thread on here before doing a comparison of all these springs.

Oh yes and it is possible to convert to a hydraulic clutch, it comes with the TTS supercharger kit.

Last Triumph update I can think of on the clutch was around 2009. Of course there are aftermarket options, generally it's springs and fibers, Barnett do a kit of both which appear to be generally accepted as good, then MTC do fibers and springs where the fibers are excellent but the springs are apparently meh, they also do a billet basket which is a work of art but only beneficial in a huge torque bike, Carpenter Racing does what are to my knowledge the best springs, they also supply Hayabusa fibers and steels for the Rocket which from what i gather are good too.
Personally i run the MTC basket with MTC fibers, and the Carpenter Springs. Really recommend the Carpenter springs.

EBC do springs & fibers kit too i believe, but seemingly the springs are weak.
There was a thread on here before doing a comparison of all these springs.

Oh yes and it is possible to convert to a hydraulic clutch, it comes with the TTS supercharger kit.
What sort of cost for the Hydraulic clutch ?

Not sure what you mean by upgrade but the 2016 had the latest Triumph upgrades already incorporated. Unless you need to replace parts, race your bike or downright abuse the clutch, I'd leave it alone.

If you want to replace the fibers and springs, I'll leave the suggestions to the fellows who have already done it.
Thanks Gregger, my R3 is a trike and hauling around a lot of weight.

Attachments

• rocket-3-trike-4.jpg
    rocket-3-trike-4.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the clarification. Forward thinker. I can see why you would be concerned. @R-III-R Turbo 's and @Tripps clutch suggestions are sound. Having said that, if you are only going to ride the trike in a relaxed manner, I'd guess the stock clutch would be fine.

Just watched the videos you posted of the handicap trike you tricked out. My hat goes off to you guys. Would be nice to hear the story behind the endeavor and who the passenger is. Looks like he was having a great time. Add it to the videos you posted.

Just got the answer to my request. Great video of your dad's life. Hat goes off to you guys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Forward thinker. I can see why you would be concerned. @R-III-R Turbo 's and @Tripps clutch suggestions are sound. Having said that, if you are only going to ride the trike in a relaxed manner, I'd guess the stock clutch would be fine.

Just watched the videos you posted of the handicap trike you tricked out. My hat goes off to you guys. Would be nice to hear the story behind the endeavor and who the passenger is. Looks like he was having a great time. Add it to the videos you posted.

Just got the answer to my request. Great video of your dad's life. Hat goes off to you guys.

Hi Gregger, I am the Dad. In the process of having leading link forks built. Front wheel loading at present is 217kilos, we are having special shocks built ( Paul at Lumley Engineering) Ride height will be adjusted with plates on the end of shocks and trail adjusted with plates at bottom of forks. Paul said he will build a second set of forks for sale. These would work well on solo or trike. I tried upgrading the forks with variable rate springs. It was an improvement, better ground clearance and slightly lighter steering but leading link is the only way forward. Paul also sells centre hub steering, perhaps for the mark 2 model lol.

We already have a hint of clutch slip so I'm trying to get ahead of the game there before the good weather. Thanks for the suggestions. How do I post videos? I have a few good ones of the trike being built but it won't let me post them. Have a look at MCN and search for "Quadriplegic biker gets back on the road".

Got my clutch kit from Germany - about £150. Guess I'll need a gasket from Triumph and the job will be ready to go!
Clutch kit is now fitted, looks like Triumph nicked it off Suzuki Hayabusa which came out in 1999. Hayabusa now puts out 50HP more than the Triumph so should be ok. The clutch looks identical except from stronger springs. There was signs of blueing on 3 plates and some wear. See photos.
Changed oil for fully synthetic, oil filter, spark plugs and coolant. Coolant looked nasty.
IMG_20210504_140650.jpg
IMG_20210504_140704.jpg

1613572891869.png

- the Chariot in action.

Last edited:
Back