Change the Detent Spring

T.1000 008 (black engine) or T.1000 009 (silver engine.) The colour of the replacement output drive housing is the only difference. Comes with 32 page instruction booklet which includes 5 page list of parts supplied. It's called an UPDATE kit, not an upgrade kit.

Teedee and Ruzzle are correct. Yes any Triumph dealer can order in the parts box. I paid $177 for mine because I get a good discount at my dealer for being a RAT member.

Since this thread topic is the detent spring, it is worth mentioning that the update kit does not include a detent spring!! EDIT..... Idaho red Rocket reports (post 35) that the spring IS included in his recently-purchased kit.......

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike had the full upgrade kit installed just prior to my purchasing it (that's what it was called on the servicing dealer's invoice,dated 8/5/09) and that had the same part number indicated by Ruzzle, but it was also designated as the "Upgrade Kit, X-Series".

What, exactly are the differences between that upgrade/update kit from over 3 1/2 years ago and the parts that comprise the full kit today?:-?

Also, I should note here that Team Triumph of Wisconsin's Invoice indicates that the full kit, the 2nd/3rd gear selector fork, a needle roller bearing(20x14x12) and the gear change actuator shaft were all installed with 13.95 shop hours indicated. 75$/hr shop rate in 2009... I wish that were the case around these parts, today!

My bike had the full upgrade kit installed just prior to my purchasing it (that's what it was called on the servicing dealer's invoice,dated 8/5/09) and that had the same part number indicated by Ruzzle, but it was also designated as the "Upgrade Kit, X-Series".

What, exactly are the differences between that upgrade/update kit from over 3 1/2 years ago and the parts that comprise the full kit today?:-?

Also, I should note here that Team Triumph of Wisconsin's Invoice indicates that the full kit, the 2nd/3rd gear selector fork, a needle roller bearing(20x14x12) and the gear change actuator shaft were all installed with 13.95 shop hours indicated. 75$/hr shop rate in 2009... I wish that were the case around these parts, today!
Was this done by the same dealer that tried three times but could not time your cams Phil. If so I suspect the quality of the update has been X'd out :cool:

No, Scott. The upgrade work was done by the previous owner's dealership out in Janesville, WI., a very well regarded shop by all accounts. The nightmare which you referred to was performed by Trebour Motorcycles in Ledgewood, NJ. My experience there proved them to be both incompetent and dishonest. I wouldn't recommend my them to my worst enemy and if anyone does use them for anything more complex than an oil change they have good reason for concern.

Ok so it had more then the update kit as no selector forks or gear change acuator shaft were in the kit. Yours must have experienced other problems. I wonder if the detent wheel had been changed to the new roller bearing style or does it still have the older steel wheel? 13.95 hours is **** fast for the complete kit. most dealers end up eating time. You should take a look inside while they have the front open and see if the selector wheel has been updated. I would also look to see if things like the harness update has been done.

Back