Change the Detent Spring

Ian asked me to post a picture of my lifter shaft return spring mod. I got the spring from Ace hardware you can pick your tension it does not have to be really stiff but it is important that it fits over the threads on the cable sheath. I use this instead of the return spring on the lifter shaft inside the clutch cover.

5.Remove the radiator cap (There is a 5mm bolt in the radiator cap which will need to come out before you remove the cap. I don't think that many people would lose sleep if it were to be lost, but try not to lose it.)

I bought a replacement cap from the dealer last year and it doesnt have the 5mm bolt in it,no bolt no hole,so it cant be too important.I wonder if the new bikes have it?

Hi IDK,

I have purchases a 2006 Classic with the 2nd gear pop out under hard acceloration. Would the detent spring problem/repair you describe in this thread help fix this problem ? Are there any other "fixes" a home garage mechanic can do himself; short of the complete Up-Grade Kit ?

Bill.

Hi IDK,

I have purchases a 2006 Classic with the 2nd gear pop out under hard acceloration. Would the detent spring problem/repair you describe in this thread help fix this problem ? Are there any other "fixes" a home garage mechanic can do himself; short of the complete Up-Grade Kit ?

Bill.

:eek:ops2: There goes another one.... what IDK said:( "It sounds more like the update kit than the detent spring. The detent spring will either make it stick in gear or jump out of (usually 3rd & 4th) gear under neutral throttle. Jumping out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration is one of the solid signs of the update kit."

My local Triumph shops said they could fix the 2nd gear pop out with parts and labor for less than $700. We are waiting for the factory rep guy to get back to us with information on the update kit.

My local Triumph shops said they could fix the 2nd gear pop out with parts and labor for less than $700. We are waiting for the factory rep guy to get back to us with information on the update kit.

Now that wpould be amazing considering they would have to take the engine out of the bike to split the motor to intall the new second gear parts. Ian and I both have removed the engine before and I myself can say it is a chore. doable but a chore. Your dealer must have super mechanics at their disposal !!!!!

Ask them what they would be doing to fix the problem and if they guarantee that the problem will be fixed for that price. My guess is that think it is the detent spring, but when they get in there and find out that it is not the problem, then they will charge you $2 or 3 thousand more. At that point the bike will be in bits and you will be committed to them doing it. Get the price guarantee the the problem will be fixed - not that a particular job will be done.

I would listen to Ian, he is right besides the update kit has a bunch of stuff in it that gets changes not just the second gear cluster, things like the output drive cam guides coil wires and electrical harnesss work and more.

Back