Change the Detent Spring

Ask them what they would be doing to fix the problem and if they guarantee that the problem will be fixed for that price. My guess is that think it is the detent spring, but when they get in there and find out that it is not the problem, then they will charge you $2 or 3 thousand more. At that point the bike will be in bits and you will be committed to them doing it. Get the price guarantee the the problem will be fixed - not that a particular job will be done.

As Scott has said, there is a lot of time involved in removing and stripping the Engine, I know, I've done it as well.
Also, I agree 100% with Ian above "Get the price guarantee that the problem will be fixed - not that a particular job will be done"

I agree. I know it didn't sound exactly right to me either. I was under the impression there were new shift dogs and some gears that required the case to be split. So I wanted to hear what the forum had to say. Sounded to easy to me. I had already planned on having them explain the parts they would use in detail and I wanted to be certain the job is done to my satisfaction guaranteed.

Service writer and I went over the proposed repair. I decided his plan would not be the needed fix. I'm taking it in Saturday to begin the process to get the free update kit installed.

FYI, I purchased an update kit for my Red Rocket 3 in my avatar. I wanted to have it on the shelf just in case it is needed one day. Do you guys know it only costs $209 ?

Bill

I opened it last night to see what was in it. There has to be somewhere near 100 little ziplock bags of small parts and a several big parts bags and boxes. There is a complete new back of the engine cover where the driveshaft emerges. That alone has to be worth more than the cost of the kit. Trans parts, gears, bearings, all kinds of washers, spacers, cam chain tensioner guides and parts, clutch parts, fuel level, plugs, wires, electrical parts, gaskets and seals. I can't remember everything without going through it again. It was like a never ending Christmas gift.

for 700 bucks must be using a gas axe to remove the motor ,done my drive bearings 15 hrs ,think you would need double this time to strip n build the motor as you have a lot of cleaning ,checking , assembling, then you got all the wiring spaghetti to hook up re -route ,for example was quoted £800 to do my bearings luckily i had the time at hand and the tin shed to do it

Service writer and I went over the proposed repair. I decided his plan would not be the needed fix. I'm taking it in Saturday to begin the process to get the free update kit installed.

FYI, I purchased an update kit for my Red Rocket 3 in my avatar. I wanted to have it on the shelf just in case it is needed one day. Do you guys know it only costs $209 ?

Bill

..from where?..

I opened it last night to see what was in it. There has to be somewhere near 100 little ziplock bags of small parts and a several big parts bags and boxes. There is a complete new back of the engine cover where the driveshaft emerges. That alone has to be worth more than the cost of the kit. Trans parts, gears, bearings, all kinds of washers, spacers, cam chain tensioner guides and parts, clutch parts, fuel level, plugs, wires, electrical parts, gaskets and seals. I can't remember everything without going through it again. It was like a never ending Christmas gift.

Sounds like the update kit. In order to fix the tranny the engine has to come out and get split open. Since it is a 06 it will have a different cam chain guide in the bike then what is in the kit. you should change it along with everything else. I believe Triumph allows 16 hours labor for the kit when they paid to have it installed. A little short IMO.

I agree 20-24 hours would not be unreasonable, unless you are an expert and have a good garage setup.

I agree Ian with the proper set up it could be shortened but with timing the cams and changing all the electronics 24 does sound more reasonable. I know I could do it in 3 days less if they were long days.

Back